Darenth

Cltheob135

Reaction score
Being half term I wanted to take my two sons (9 and 11) Pike fishing, I've been fishing for years and the two boys are quiet, attentative and want to learn how to fish correctly (with the fishes wellbeing at the top off the agenda).
After a couple of fishless trips I was told the Darenth Tree Lake would be a good bet, we went over there to have a look around and there wasn't an angler on the lake.
I must state we was feeling excited at the prospect of fishing the lake, it looked dark and foreboding (I wouldn?t like to be a silver fish living in there).
So it all looked good until on the way out we stopped off into the clubhouse to ask how much it cost to fish.
Firstly: I was informed that there was some ridiculous rule that each person had to have a minimum of two rods, I've never heard of that before (but fair enough).
So then I asked how much it would cost if me and one son fished and the other watched, Secondly: there is no concessions for children,
Thirdly: unless you?re fishing you can?t watch.
This would mean that the days fishing alone would cost me thirty nine pound without bait, tackle or the food (they'd no doubt try to fleece me for) if I decided to eat in that crap shop.
Now I know some anal person reading this is going to try and justify these prices to me or suggest that I go somewhere else, well don't waste your time typing that. I swear they?ll never get one penny out of me, EVER. It is no surprise the place is empty. This is exploitation and the management alt to be ashamed of them-selves.
I just hope the kids who?s parents couldn?t afford to take them there to learn under there watchful eye don?t decided to cut there teeth at this fishery because I?m sure the management would be the first to condemn them.
Minimum of two rods? That?s entrapment.
It?s not that I can?t afford it, its exploitation and these people shouldn?t be able to get away with it.

C

Chris Bishop

Places I take my lad when he's in the mood for it don't charge for him. They take the view encouraging youngsters is the future of the sport, in fact he's positively welcome.

Don't know how far you can travel but King's Lynn AA do some brilliant junior teach-ins - free to fish, gear, bait and qualified coaches on hand for the youngsters.

Might be an exucse for a weekend away up here, but sure other clubs must do the same.

We need to be encouraging kids - not fining you for taking them.

Cltheob135

Reaction score
Darenth take the view "lets take them for what they've got because they might not have it for long", anyway I'm glad your lot are forward thinking

P

Paul Clarke 2

Thats a terrible set-up. How can they justify those prices , especially as they have no concessionary prices ? I believe the children are our future , let them lead the way....etc etc etc. They run the risk of alienating parents from taking their kids fishing , although i'm sure there are other venues that will provide a decent days angling without trying to get the deeds to your house. Good luck mate . The only upside is that the kids won't be able to outfish you as they normally do !!!

C

Chris Bishop

Having said all this I'm surprised more kids and parents don't attend the King's Lynn sessions.

They give up one of their prime bran tub stillwaters and lay on all the gear, bait etc, several of their guys have got coaching qualifications.

I know the club committee see it as a real priority.

Must say several other places I fish are very junior-friendly, I'm in a couple of syndicates where you can take your kid(s) along for free if they're fishing with you.

mr chubblybarbel

Reaction score
hi chris,
it is annoying to read of your treatment at Darenth. Dont let it get to you bud, plenty better, more friendly places to fish than that. DO take the oppotunity though to slag them off to anyone who wants to listen.These people are just showing what t**sers they are. Doubt your missing much bud, thier "clubhouse/shop" IS crap and its management just a bunch of eletist pr*ts. My guess is that they didnt want you and children there, so deliberatly put you off, the reason being that they didnt want to upset any of their "SERIOUS" anglers, who tend to have a problem with kids being around them. I seen it loads of times bud. Dont listen to any excuses for thier crass rules. YOU were there, trying to explain to your excited kids why thier day had been ruined. Keep slinging the mud buddy,and DO bear a grudge.......with attitude........you have good reason!!!
regards chubbly

ps look on their rubbish website' it doesnt mention about MINIMUM rods/prices etc., but it does say about 'upsetting serious anglers'......... you can ring for prices too, undoubtedly on premium rate line.

T

Terry D

I wonder how many members they've actually got as they certainly don't want the business do they.

B

Bully

Sounds really daft to me, especially insisting on two rods and not allowing the other to watch!

Not sure what your name is, but I live in Orpington and there are pleanty of more welcoming alternatives in the area.

........oh, and by the way "Go on you Irons!!"

Cltheob135

Reaction score
Bully could you name some please (day ticket) we live in the Bexleyheath massive, so anywhere within a twenty minute drive, Pike would be the quarry

Nativeman

Reaction score
Bexley Heath? Pike? Ok here goes.

Birchmear Lake in Thamesmead. Great local club, cheep day tickets , extremley friendley Chaps and love getting the Kids involved and got some Big pike.

River Cray, Hall Place playing fields, folow river down towards industrial units at Crayford, plenty of Jacks and just had a 12 out on tuesday 14th Feb belkow crayford weir in Maxim Rd. And it is Free, ideal for roving. Offers 24 species inc some specimen Roach & dace.

River Cray from Crayford to Thames Rd, Again Free, great for roving pike to 8 taken on Fly before.

No Fishing at all at Foots Cray Meadows 5 Arches, council banned it years ago.
see www.cacg.co.uk

Dartford lakes, Brooklands, day tickets, big pike, bit messy with litter and crap, but Club Run and events.

Tight lines

Nativeman

Reaction score
Me too.

just cleaned 1/2 ton out of Tidal section at Crayford Creek. Sunday im after those Big Roach and What Ever comes along, Maybe a few nice Chub.

Could you keep me posted on any sightings or captures on the Cray.

Cltheob135

Reaction score
Hi
Had a go today, got there at about 2.30 weather really filthy but still tried. We had a look at Maxim Road but thought those flats looked private, weren?t sure what the score was regarding fishing there so I moved on. Went into a little industrial estate at the bottom of Bourne Road, although quite shallow had some deeper glides which looked interesting, tried wobbling a dead bait roach, no joy but my son assures me he had a follow, which I believe because he's not an experienced angler and doesn't know Pike do that. At the upper part of the section was a sluice gate with what looked like a water monitoring station (small brick built hut). Was I where you would expect to get some action and what methods would you recommend, thanks for the tips despite being fishless and cold we did enjoy the experience and will look at this venue again.

Nativeman

Reaction score
The housing estat is private, however if you walk through the derelict industrial land up river, theres a few swims you can drop drop down into. your right ontop of the water so stealthy approch required.

You can trot down from under the willows, theres a large wooden platform D.I .Y jobby.

You can go further up and thers a very shallow rappid opposite a rectangle rusty sluice on corner of New building development, formerly David Evens Silk Works. This is another good swim to trot through or ledger. Bream Chub and Pike hang out in this. Youi can also pick up perch, Roach & Dace. This is where last weeks 12 pounder came from.

If you walk up river, around the gate with earth mound, you enter Crayford Rough. You will see Crayford Gaging Weir with EA monitoring station (brick hut) below the weir is a good swim to several feet deep down to under the willow.

Above the weir is stuffed with Bream, Carp, Common, Mirror, Ghost & koi, Chub, Rudd, Roach, Perch, Eels and Pike. the deep stretch from Hall Place along the Reed beds and down to Crayford weir is really under estimated.

You can fish the Hall Place playing Field and flood plain section but the Conservation area and formal gardens are out of bounds. This we respect and enforce.

Sunday i was at Vibe Mill, its private but im a key holder. Anyway we froze, I missed every wrap round, and my coleague hit evry twitch on on his waggler. I left him there to do the night.

Again, keep me posted.

jbulla

Reaction score
@ Nativeman

Do you still fish the Cray ? Ive heard that chub to 6lb have come out, Ive never had nothing above a couple of pound though

Any tips ?

---------- Post added at 04:45 ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 ----------

Well this thread is 5 years old!

It was a joke 5 years ago too lol

jbulla

Reaction score
Oh yes, didnt notice that

Anyone else fishing these south east venues nowadays, Cray, Dartford etc etc ?