New Fly Line Required

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
A little help needed. Its time to replace my Aircell ultra 2 DT floating line. Was considering the new Ultra 4.

What in your opinion is the best line out there and why.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Any of the British lines made by Shakespeare locally are now excellent, including Snowbee.

Steve Parton has a whole range of lines selling for only ?17.00. Every bit as good as the American lines.

R

If your Aircel has lasted 20 years, it's quite incredible. I normally wear a floating line out in about 3 years, including Aircels. Has your Aircel got cracks in it?

The Shakespeare/Snowbee lines are made from the same materials as the 3M/Aircel lines and have recieved some very good reviews on this website.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
No its just starting to sink at the end and not strightning out proper. Its on my river rod and does not get the hamering that my stillwater lines do.

R

Then I can understand why it has lasted so long.

By the way if you are fishing small streams you will never need the full double taper on your reel. Cut the line in half and splice it to braided backing. Then you can use a lighter smaller reel.

You can then seal the other half in a plastic bag and it will keep indefinitely.

G

Ged

Don't go for one of the glass type lines.
very bad memory retension. Threw mine away after a year and only used it three times, did cost ?25. as opposed to the ?54 original price.
Don't like Cortland much either, expensive line and again did not fish too well.
Aircell, hardy's own and a Lee Wulf line have lasted for years.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
A mate as the cortland 444 and really rates it. Never used the Lee Wulf or Hardy lines.

I like Greys gear but i believe there lines are not upto scratch.

G

Ged

Bryan, have a look on www.tacklebargainsdirect.co.uk.
I've bought a lot of line and braid of them over the last two years. Have loaded up several of my fly reels with some new line, carn't rember exact details and have yet to use them. Most are branded.

R

The Lee Wulff Lines are made by Scientific Anglers/3M as are the Hardys.

I have only ever owned one Cortland line in my life and I will never own another. The plastic coating stripped off after two outings.

Airflo lines - you either love them or hate them. I have used their DI sinking lines and clear intermediates for years and quite honestly I rate them highly.

But I don't like their floaters. The technology is different to other makes in that polyurethane is used not Polyvinylchloride. As such the lines are not as supple as the PVC ones.

A very good friend of mine who is a superb fly fisher doesn't like floating lines to lay out dead straight. He actually hooks more fish when the line lays on the surface showing a bit of memory. He told me that the trout hold onto the fly longer.

And the way he catches fish, I have no reason to doubt what he believes

S

Shrek

Bryan, if it's for rivers then have a look at the Partridge Dry & Delicate line. My friend swears by them and it's all he ever uses now.

Also, there's a guy on eBay selling "Redditch" fly lines. I've got a couple of these and they seem superb, although I haven't fish with them yet. They are only ?4.99 with free postage so you've not lost anything. The story goes that he was the night supervisor at Shakespeare and got the sack after years of "One for you, one for me" off the production line. He's now set up his own plant and can copy any line that Shakespeare bring out as he knows how they manufacture them.

See what you think and let us know.

Also, if you're going to the Fish In I'll have mine there so you can have a swish and cast to see what you think (if that's not too long to wait).

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Cheers adrian i will be at the fish-in barring any unforseen problems. Will have to have a look at the Partridge.

Agree Ron tried a airflo when they first came out. It was a WF7F came of the reel like a spring. You did not have to retrive the line did it for you.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Snowbee Prestige has to be the best for me, the hardy lines aren't bad either at ?30, though to be honest I've only ever used them on the river gear 3/4 weight casting short distances.

NT

Reaction score
I have had a tackle delivery this week - loads of lines to spool. Have the following if anyone wants to try them at the fish in.
Cortland 444SL floater
Airflo 40 plus expert floater
Airflo platinum distance
Rio midge tip (3ft clear tip)and Cortland Ghost tip (12ft)
I use the cortlands but have not found a superb alternative yet- the cortlands do wear out quick. I get the airflo ones from competitions, but wouldn't buy them! Again I heard the snowbee white floaters are good if you can get a good one.