Salmon on fly - help please!

Malcolm Felgate

Reaction score
Hi. I am researching the opportunity for a group of four anglers to have a 3-4 day fishing trip. We will be travelling from London. We are all reasonably competent fly anglers but have not yet caught a salmon. We are equipped with 9 and 10 ft single handed rods and 7/8 lines. We are flexible on dates and are looking for a 3-4 day period during the second half of March. Anywhere reachable in 4-5 hrs will be considered including Ireland. Suggestions please!!

Many thanks in anticipation!

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Malcolm,
I would look at the period around the big spring tides 29,30,31st. Have to say I don't know of a water with a spring run that is best tackled with a single handed rod at the end of march. Would be interested to hear other anglers views.
Tom

Malcolm Felgate

Reaction score
Tom,
Many thanks for input. It is just the type of information that I need as I would not have thought of the tides as having such an influence. Once pointed out it is fairly obvious. Many thanks.

G

Ged

Try Northunmberland, around the Alnwich area. rivers Aln, Croquet, and a Tweed tributary the Till. Non of them big rivers so your rods should surfice.
the till being apart of the Tweed comes under Scotish law, no rod liscence need. tckets from the Post Office in Ford and Etal.
If you stay at Northunberland Estates, belongs to the Duike of Northunberland, you might be able to have a days fishing in Hulme Park, Anlwich.
Check out Tourist Information Centers online. may be an extra hour or so traveling.