chocolate river.. ?

Matty C

Reaction score
Hi guys..

Just wondering what the barbel will be doing in a chocolate river if you all can help.. ? There arnt many spots in my river I can fish for them, but I know of a big weir pool where there are a few.. its not easy to fish, but I can try.. Just thought Id check out my chances in such a dirty river before I go though..

Cheers in advance guys

Matt

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

They will be looking for food Matt.
The coloured water will give them more confidence, the bigger and smellier the bait you can use the better. And the temperatures are up.

D

Dave Burr

Matty

Like Baz says, use a smelly bait in coloured water although straight forward bacon grill is still effective in these conditions.

If you are fishing a weir be aware that the currents are usually all over the place and what you see on the surface isn't necessarily what is happening on the bottom, the surface layers go one way, deeper down another, this can make swim selection very difficult. Look for a piece of 'steady' water even if it's a back eddy and work your bait around in that.

Even though the water's coloured and the fish should be moving, I've found that at this time of year dusk is still your best bet for a bite.

Good luck