T

Tony Rocca

Paul,
Glad you got one in the end.
Looks like a dead swan to me too.

C

Chub King

Is that a bloody Mitten crab? Antone?
If it is Paul then you need to inform the EA or Defra. The bloody things are spreading like wildfire and the authorities are desperate to contain them. They will really appreciate the info if it is.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Great story again Paul, keep them comeing mate.

T

Tony Rocca

Greg,
If that is indeed a mitten crab then they are on their way to the Trent, Ouse and all the tribs, Don, Wharfe, Nidd etc.

coelacanth

Reaction score
Looking at the dead "thing", I'd say it was neither fish nor bird.
The vertebrae are the wrong shape, and they're also too robust to be either IMO (birds have distinctive vertebrae to cut down weight as much as possible, and fish have spiny processes off the vertebral centrum).
The "skull" appears to be actually a pelvis, so it looks more like a heavily rotted mammal than anything else. It'll make good tadpole food in a few weeks whatever it is...

P

paul williams 2

it's a swan...with a fox on top of it that drowned whilst trying to kill a young(ish) swan that was withinit's reach at the point of predation but then managed to swim out into mid water, with said fox attached........said fox managed to kill it but was left on a floatin island of meat.

come up with a better one then bighead!!:)

P

paul williams 2

Oh......and in all my years of fishing i have NEVER come upon a freshwater crab......it has to be a mitten!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nice piece Paul M, after what you have seen, I would be hooked.
You know they are there and they seem to be close in, that would be my attack.

Good luck Paul.

coelacanth

Reaction score
"it's a swan...with a fox on top of it that drowned whilst trying to kill a young(ish) swan that was withinit's reach at the point of predation but then managed to swim out into mid water, with said fox attached........said fox managed to kill it but was left on a floatin island of meat"

Bit like the two Dinosaur fossils in Mongolia where they were found still trying to nut each other even though a sand dune had just collaped on them? (Scouse dinosaurs?).
The crab is a Mitten, there aren't any UK crabs with that carapace shape regardless of the fact that it was in freshwater.

C

Chub King

Where is the lake Paul? Email me in confidence if you're keeping it close to your chest. I'll pass the info on to the EA and maybe look at writing a story.

Tony Stevens

Reaction score
Nice article Paul, I would hazard an almost certain guess that what you have in your photo is the carcass of a domestic duck. I base this on the keel bone showing so clearly. the keel bone is the anchor point for the major flight muscles and in domesticated ducks which can be quite large the keel is no where as well developed as the flying ability is bred out of them and the ability to put on weight is enhanced.
Must look up what a mitten crab is as I have never heard of them.
Tony

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback guys. Greg, I'll be in touch mate.

Seems that the carcus is a swan then, suprising as I didnt think it had the correct body shape. Tony S it definately wasnt a duck, far too large so probably a swan or goose.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Greg I cant see any way of emailing you though your profile, I dont know if thats because you havent added your email or because its hidden with the new cahnges and its just me that cant find it!

Either way I'm on paulsmallinson@yahoo.com if you want to get in touch.