Loughs Mask and Corrib

Joskin

Reaction score
Any one give me any info on Coarse fishing in either Mask or Corrib in West Ireland. All I can seem to find is Trout fishing info. I have heard it is good for Bream, Roach and Hybrids but cant find any more info. I normaly go to Lough Derg several times a year but fancy trying one or both of these Loughs. Just need to know for sure that the loughs are good for coarse as well as game fishing befor I make the Trip.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Both Mask and Corrib used to have big pike, but you need a boat and lots of local knowledge.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the coarse fishing if I went there. The wild brown trout fishing is superb.

Joskin

Reaction score
I remember reading an article on Corrib in the AT around 12 months ago where the guy who wrote it was really singing its praises and saying how it was relatively unknown as a coarse fishery. I seem to remember the article saying that it was Roach Bream and hybrid city but I would love to hear from someone who has fished it.

K

Keith Orange

Hugh Gough (Coarse Angling Officer for the central fisheries board)published "coarse fishing in Ireland" in 1989. It briefly refers to L. Corrib as being a game fishery, and there is no mention at all of L. Mask.

D

dave bassett(BA)

just "googled" coarse fishing lough mask and corrib.Plenty on there to go at Joskin

K

Keith Orange

Dave, was it Lough Mask or Mask lough you googled ? Because there is a small four acre pond in ireland called Mask Lough, which is no relation to the giant Lough Mask.

Joskin

Reaction score
Well ive spent hour trawling google trying to find out about coarse fishing on Mask and Corrib but can only find Game related stuff. I will try once again

M

mark williams 4

I have to ask why, because you've got so many other coarse fisheries to go at. The entire Shannon system should offer enough choice.

Joskin

Reaction score
Because I fancy Corrib or Mask this time and ive heard that they are virtualy unfished for coarse fish but realy are packed with hybrids, Roach and Bream. I also know people that live in the area that I can have a craic with while im there.
I regularly fish Derg several times a year but we fancy trying some other big loughs as Derg has gone down hill over the years. I put it down to the Zebra muscles in the shannon system clearing up the water in the huge loughs and thought I would check out a different reigon. Only going for a short 5 day pilot session in May and if it fishes well we will be back there again for a couple of 10 day trips later on through the summer.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Joskin - that's OK. Permission granted!;-)

Ron is right though; they are two of the most noted Trout loughs in the world.

P

Paul Christie 2

Joskin

I do seem to recall reading an article on someone who coarse fished Corrib. I can't recall where I saw it unfortunately, but if my memory is right, it was summarised as being surprisingly good.

I've briefly toured around there and stayed at Oughterad.

The main problem is that is absolutely massive and as I recall, largely very very shallow in the areas accesible from the shore. So you really will need to do your homework beforehand, to even know which areas to target.

If I were you, I would start by emailing Leisure Angling or one of the other Irish holiday companies. The name of the guy at Leisure Angling escapes me, Dave....? He has fished all over Ireland for donkeys years and will know something about it, I am sure.

I've also got some literature from the Irish angling tourist board somewhere. They too will probably be able to help. They have a stall at Chatsworth Angling Fair every year and always have people there who have extensively fished the length of the country.

Joskin

Reaction score
Cheers Paul.

We have our own boat and echo sounder etc so that will cut out some of the problems of finding suitable areas to fish. I think you are right about the need of homework hence the whole reason for just a short 5 day trip this time that would be more about home work in readiness for a couple of longer trips later in the year. I am also trying to find out as much as possible prior to leaving hence this thread. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting time going there in the first place.
Thanks again Paul and if you hear of anything else that may be of help I would much appreciate hearing about it.

P

Paul Christie 2

Joskin

I had a look through my Ireland literature and found a short guide on the area, titled ? A Guide to Counties Galway, Mayo and Roscommon ? The Coarse Anglers Paradise.

It looks to be from the late 1990?s, so it?s a bit old, but gives details of the lakes just to the west of Corrib that are linked to it and one angler briefly mentions coarse fishing on Corrib.

It also gives details of where to stay and bait stockists and so on. It might be of use in terms of providing you with some contacts.

The guide is produced by the Western Region Fisheries Board. They have a website

http://www.wrfb.ie/coarse_angling/coarse_home.php

Email address info@wrfb.ie

It says on there that they were due to produce a new guide in 2004.

If you want, send me your address by email and I?ll put it in the post to you.

Paul

fred hall

Reaction score
Joskin, I've just found something that could be of considerable interest to you. When I was over in Ireland last May I bought a magazine, Irish Angler, which contains an article about coarse fishing on Corrib. The useful bit is the contact
Derek Walsh or Kevin Connolly at Corrib Tackle
telephone 0035391 769974 (from Britain)
Judging from the article there is potentially great fishing for roach, bream and hybrids but it ain't for the faint hearted - their words not mine.
PS We were fishing at Belturbet on the Erne but had to travel to Gowna to catch anything. It's another story and it breaks my heart to say it but Belturbet is now a complete waste of time.

M

mark williams 4

Take a camera and let us know how you get on, Joskin. There is something endlessly fascinating about exploring waters, even massive waters like Corrib.

Keep an eye out for pike - if you don't take some piking gear, you'll be doing yourself a disservice. Fickling has had some massive fish off Mask, and I think Corrib.

Joskin

Reaction score
I would like to have a go for the pike but I think I will need to concerntrate on Bream etc as its a new water to us. Perhaps if we do go back for a longer trip later in the year then I would have more time to go for the pike.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Coarse fish stocks in Lough Mask are negligible.
Lough Corrib does have roach and bream but as you've heard, it's a helluva size (40,000 acres)

Both loughs used to be fantastic for big pike and both have had their pike stocks destroyed by the Western Regional Fisheries Board in the name of trout fishing. Millions of Euros have been spent gill netting and poisoning the pike at spawning time and pike like this;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/ericedwards/BigPike.jpg
are no longer there to be caught.

As far as I'm aware, the trout fishing hasn't improved.