Favourite Sticks

J

john ledger

I have been using Baggio stickfloats for the last few weeks and they are the best i have used.Over the years i have used most of the names Allerton Brittania Drennan Warren Maher Dean Toppers Avon just to name a few. I do not knoow who make Baggio floats and if anybody knows i would be gratefull for any info

I

Ian Cloke

Where did you get them from John? Are they an Avon style float?

Beecy

Reaction score
I rate the original Allertons as the best ever John, the stem is not too heavy so they cast shot first, never had a bad tangle with one (what a bold statement that is!).

trouble is I'm down to my last few now, used to have three of each size in both black and red tops.

for looks and quality though, and I meant to show you them the other week but forgot, i have some lignum sticks made by a guy called Dave Pearson (you may know him?)and they are the best example of craftsmanship you will see, problem with these though is the stems are a bit too heavy and they do not cast too well so you have to be extra carefull every cast, which is a big ask for a lazy sod like me. they hold their line in the water perfectly though.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I like my Britannia Lignums. They cast well and have a lovely tiny tip that's ideal for finicky fish.

To be honest though, I'm not that fussy. Most of them work well. I think picking the right size for the job in hand is more important.

I do wish more floats were availble in 2 no 4 and 3 No 4 sizes, as they were years ago.

J

john ledger

Still have a few Allerton wire stems Dave and yes you are right they are good but theses Baggios are great and they shot to whats stated on the float.
Bought them fom Len Squires at R/R who thought Prestons made them but after ringing Prestons no joy.I bought the lot and he has not had anymore in so i am snookered.
They do Lignums Ian but the ones i use have a fibre glass stem and at around six and a half inch take around 8 No4s lignums 7 No4s. He had nothing in any smaller.
A good stick should angle slightly when you hold it around centre across your finger.
Lot of the Leeds lads are now using Drake sticks and i have heard good things about these

Beecy

Reaction score
I think you are probably right Matt, not realy that much between them all. problem these days is getting the dam things in the first place.

Are the Britannia ones you like the ones with the boulbous bit near the bottom?

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
some of my floats

1.is quite small and used on backwaters and shallow rivers
2&3. are waiting to have the tips painted
4.is an attempt at a fluted design
5&6.are converted Cheap balsa chubb's
7.is quite big and has interchangable tips
8.is one of my oldest floats still catches

i have a mixture of other stickfloats and some chubbas don't really have favourites.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I fish the lower thames and find a big Topper does the trick for me run down on the nearest crease with a big pin and 14ft Enterprise.

I use the chubber style of float for smaller rivers with a bit of pace with a smaller pin and 13ft Enterprise.

J

john ledger

Used the Baggio sticks today caught some chub and then lost a big one in the roots with the float ending up in the trees.
Replaced with a similiar weight ratio lignum only to find i could not boss the swim and the swim was bossing me. Set up another Baggio 10 no 4 and started to catch again,just more confidence with these floats and so much better for holding back

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
John I agree with you on this one; it all comes down to what you feel confident with. Many people who see my rods take the mickey but I've used Enterprises for at least 35 years and know exactly how to use them...I know, I'm a fast learner. But its funny how I seem to catch more than the piss takers when I fish with them.

J

jason fisher

you're speaking to the converted there fishing gimp john still uses an old tank aerial

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
The Ivan Mark's Pacemaker float was always a firm favourite of mine, perfect for holding back, perfect in an adverse wind. I still have a full set of 5, but sadly many rivers no longer have a good flow except after a good rain to warrant using them. John Allerton wire stemmed sticks are still great floats that i use regularly. I'm glad a bought a load when i did.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
John.
Called in Climax today for a trolley and check out the 14ft sentient. Had a look at the stick float rack but no Baggios. Have you asked the guys at wickersley Tackle?. My stick float stock is slowly diminishing at the rate of about one per session so ill have to do some serious spending or start on my pole floats. L et me know if you locate some and i will be in like a flash.All the best and hope to see you this weekend.

J

john ledger

If i find some mike like Victor Kyham i will buy the factory

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Pauls at Denaby have loads of stick floats in. R&R at Bawtry isn't bad either.

J

john ledger

These floats came from the R&R Matt and i bought all he had in stock.
I am not saying these are the best sticks ever ,all i am saying is they are the best i have used.
I did not get them as freebies for an Angling Star review i paid for the floats myself.Its a bit of a bastard when Len Squires who owns the shop does not know who makes the bloody float.
I hear all this rubbish about Benny Ashurst inventing stickfloats which is absolute rubbish. I was using a stickfloats in the fifties and it was your run of the mill porcupine quill fixed top and bottom and did exactly the same job

Matt Brown

Reaction score
John, why do you like those Baggio floats so much? Why are they the best you've used?

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Matt.
Ive fished with John on a number of occasions on a few venues this season and if he says these floats are the best you can believe him because that guy can make them behave perfectly. They are a flat top version aiding visibity at distance and also good to see when passing through variable shades of light i-e drifting past overhanging trees and bushes. They also hold their line well and are good for holding back. tight lines from Mick