jon cotton

L

levelspiker

myself ,jon helyer and another mate,went to see jons` parents today.he asked us to thank all of you on here who sent messages of sympathy.
he also told us that donations totalling over ?850 were left by the congregation at his funeral.
apparently,jon fell down some steps outside a night club.at least he was having a good time and enjoying himself when he died.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Such a sad, sad, loss Pete, I'm still gutted, and can't believe it.

JC is a big loss to FM as far as I'm concerned.
Jon welcomed me and gave me loads of tips and laughs and he knew a thing or two about cricket!

My heart goes out to Jon's parents.

Jon was a lovely bloke and I'm gonna do it for you mate!

;-)

J

jon helyer

You could ee that Jon's dad was still visibly struggling with the whole affair, but I think they are happy that all Jon's kit will go to people who can make good use of it.

Difficult day.....):

L

levelspiker

i`ve sold a lot of jons old kit today and have raised ?125,with around ?115 to come from people who want things.
I`m thinking of phoning bridgwater aa secretary to ask if they`d want two poles for their junior section.jons dad suggested that we could donate stuff to youngsters for free,so as so much has been raised by selling his other kit,i think that it would be a nice gesture to offer it.

T

The Piker

Good idea Pete,nice way to introduce kids into fishing,and a fine tribute to jc.

Hope you make some funds for your club also.
What a sad accident,and loss to many people,not least his poor parents.

At times the world is a sad cruel place..

L

levelspiker

thanks stu,i`m giving all the monies raised back to jons parents,to do as they wish,probably give it to the childrens society.there`s not much left now and the money will total around ?300.
i still haven`t completely come to terms with the fact that jon is no longer with us,sorting and selling all his kit has not been the easiest task mentally,but at least it`s gone to people who will make good use of it.
my stepdad has finished the plinth for the jc memorial trophy and i will be taking it to show jons` parents when i take them the proceeds of his fishing kit.

L

levelspiker

JC used to play in a band years ago,his dad tells me that the remaining members are having a concert in memory of Jon,with all the proceeds going to charity(the childrens society).
I am going to see Jons` parents today and will be handing over ?290 which has been raised from the sale of Jons fishing kit,this is also going to the childrens society.

T

Tomo(b.a)

its not nice to lose any of our members.but the "pass the gear on" is a great idea.lets hope those lucky people catch many a memory.
FISHING'S ACE

L

levelspiker

it`s not been a pleasant job sorting out jons kit,but there was no way that i was going to let some house clearance people pay buttons for it and sell it in second hand shops!it`s all gone to people who i know will use it and look after it properly.a few of his old float and feeder rods,plus some coarse fishing kit that he had years ago,have been given to a friend of a friends` grandson (for free at the request of jons` dad).

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
My old club that I used to fish for, Brigg Whizzo for the record, had what they aclled a tackle bank in the junior section where they ahd fishing tackle that anyone who wanted to take up fishing could join the club and then be loaned gear untill the got thier own, if there's anything left it might be worth seeing if theres a similar junior club in your area to donate it to?

L

levelspiker

i was going to contact bridgwater aa and offer them two poles and a float rod\reel for their junior section.
however,Jon Helyer contacted them to ask if they`d donate a stretch of water for us to hold a jc memorial pike event in aid of charity,and possibly donate a season ticket as a prize.the answer was a resounding no!so they can go **** themselves!
the other club in the area has a secretary who hates pike and insists on killing any jacks that he lands in matches(despite rules stating that ALL fish,including pike,must be returned alive to the water).
support local match anglers who teach juniors to kill pike?i think not.
a mate of mine insisted on donating some money for the two poles,and will be using them when his nephews visit during the summer holidays.
in my view,the BRIDGWATER ANGLING ASSOCIATION committee should be ashamed of themselves for refusing to donate a licence as a prize(cost around ?30)especially when they have well over ?100,000 in the bank, Jon Cotton was the secretary of the association for 5 years and did an awful lot of good work for them.
personally,i wouldn`t urinate on the bridgwater or taunton aa chairmen and secretaries if they were on fire!

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that, as you say disgracefull. Possibly bridgewater did not want a pike match as they dont agree with them in principle but still if that was the case the could've explaind this to you.

L

levelspiker

it wasn`t the fact that they don`t want pike matches mate.their excuse was "we don`t donate waters or prizes"!
i don`t like pike matches where any old noddy can fish.but this one was to be fished by Jons old piking mates,all proficient pike anglers and pac members.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Just thinking outloud (or in type actually) but if it was all John's old mates then why dont you just organise a social and have a bit of a fun match on the side.

L

levelspiker

that`s what we`re intending to do mate.we just thought that bridgwater aa might like to donate a licence as a prize.
unfortunately,they can`t afford it as they are down to their last ?100,000 in the bank!
no doubt the local tackle shops will donate a prize or two,they usually do.
jon helyer tells me that he didn`t ask for a stretch of water to be donated,he was flatly refused a licence as a prize,so didn`t bother asking.
i would have thought with all the anti and animal rights stuff flying around these days,that the club would want some positive publicity for angling by helping raise money for charity.