Intermediate Line

Weeman

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Any thoughts on a decent #5 intermediate line? I use a Snowbee XS floater and like it, are their clear inter lines any good? Someone told me that the clear lines suffer with memory, so would a traditional line such as the cortland blue be best?

Questions, questions.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I like clear intermediate lines myself.

Anything by Snowbee will be good. I have used the Airflo clear lines for years and generally I can't fault them.

You do get a bit of memory with the Airflos but this doesn't seem to be a big problem to me. They have very low stretch which improves bite detection.

S

Shrek

I've got the Snowbee clear floater in a #7 and have used it to good effect, although I'm not too sure about it.

I don't like the way it casts as it isn't as slick as other intermediates I've got (Shakespeare Worcestershire in blue), which means that I tend to try and put more power into the cast to get it to go as far.

It does hold a bit of memory, especially when you first strip it off the reel, so can tangle unless you stetch the line first.

I wouldn't buy another one as I prefer the standard blue intermediates that are around.

NT

Reaction score
My Wetcel Intermediate (called the kelly green)was a great line and lasted 10 years. This was probably slow at 0.5ips sink rate. Scientific Anglers now do two intermediates both in dark green.
My favourite line ever was a cheapo Anglian water clear intermediate, probably 'fast' at 0.5 to 1.5ips.

Never found memory a problem with any of them. I would probably use airflo as I get plenty of these or I'd shop for a standard blue as Adrian says.

scott paddon

Reaction score
hi wee man about the intermediate line, i agree with ron. go with airflo the bite detection is good due to the non stretch. i've had an xls original glass line for 15 years and is still in good condition.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have found that with lines that sink, zero or very little stretch is a huge advantage. Remember is most cases with sinking lines you FEEL the take. You can't really see it like you can with a floater.

Even if the line retains a bit of memory you will also have a more direct strike, especially with all that line under water which tends to impede the strike.

Remember something else.

The less a line will stretch, the more it will retain memory and the less you will be able to remove that memory by stretching it.

Because you can't.

It's to do with the way the molecules align themselves in a non-stretch core.

Weeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice chaps. I think I might try the airflo as a low stretch sinking line makes sense to me. Is the 'delta' line the non-stretch version?

NT

Reaction score
Airflo' Sixth sense' are the lowest stretch. (I have a DI5 but yet to cast it).
They also do a 'Delta' and 'Tactical'. Delta is for turnover for teams of three flies whereas the tactical lines have less stretch but more than the 6th sense.
www.Fishtec.co.uk have the details.
Neil.