just seen on the news

ALAN HOLMES 2

Reaction score
a duck as been found with bird flu.
you think this will maybe affect fishing in certain areas?

W

Wolfman Woody

Lyon, to be exact. Well south.

However, some scientists are saying the swans found in Germany may have been carriers or affected by carriers.

I blame the cormorants. Never been a better excuse .......

ALAN HOLMES 2

Reaction score
yes, been answered, just thinking thats its not that far away from the uk, so its likely it will hit us soon.
surely it will affect fishing.

Joskin

Reaction score
Ducks have been found in the UK with bird flu but not the H5N1 strain that could be passed on to humans.
Was the duck in France infected with the H5N1 strain or just another strain?

C

Chris Bishop

They're saying a highly virulent strain like H5N1. One of the Govt's chief vets today said it's lmost certain to come here.

They're testing a swan found dead near Cambridge today.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

With a bit of luck it will wipe the cormorants out. Old Mother Nature re-addressing the ballance.

C

Chris Bishop

Doesn't affect that type of bird Baz. Ducks, geese, poultry and some waders are subsceptible to it.

J

jason fisher

where's the justice in that, it's going to kill all the nice to look at but sometimes annoying birds and leave the spawn of satan alive.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

How come that in this sometimes evil world, there is always a get out of jail free card for the villians?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I saw a dead cormorant today down on my local, but it had a hole between it's eyes!

Dunno what happened to it, maybe it's mate gave it a peck on the cheek and missed?

G

Ged

I don't think we have to panic just yet, these birds are on migrating back to their summer feeding grounds. Ie, Russia.
Its our summer visitors that we have to worry about, swallows, swifts, sand and house martins and warblers.
Some scientist are hoping that we don't have too much of a cold spell as there then could be a possibility of swans and ducks coming over here on their way beck to Russia.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I saw a couple of pigeons sneezing and a sparrow with a snotty nose this morning ....

J

jason fisher

you have to have very close or intimate contact with birds inorder to contract the infection.

you seem to be very worried about this steve, is there something you're not telling us about your relatiionship to chickens.