The piker and the shop girl

C

Chris Bishop

Gutted I had to work today, decided to console myself by stocking up on bait when I went out to buy a sandwich.

So to Sainsbury's fish counter, where there was a distinct lack of the sardines and herrings normally nestling amidst the tuna, salmon and cod fillets.

"Have you got any frozen sardines out the back love..? I asked the girl on the counter.

"No," she said. "They've been discontinued."

"Discontinued," I said. "How can you discontinue a fish."

She asks her more mature colleague for the reasoning behind this.

"Dunno," she shrugged. "Perhaps they've become extinct or something..."

B

Bob Watson

Quite possible Chris, I think the Cod round here have!!

P

paul williams 2

How big are the pike in France Chris?......loads and loads of wonderful sardines over there........problem is convincing yourself to use em as bait for fish and not dropping em on a barby after your second litre of red at the equivelent of 75p!!

Dave German

Reaction score
Morrisons have discontinued the frozen sardines as well, bloke on counter tells me they have fresh ones, thoughg all sardines were imported frozen? Wonderfully fresh herrings though shal be getting more of them.

C

Chris Bishop

All them Brummies eating them has obviously made serious inroads into the population Dave.

L

levelspiker

dave,morrisons source their sardines fresh from cornwall,they had some in my local morrisons the size of herrings!.it used to be the cornish pilchard industry,but started calling them sardines in recent years, so that the modern housewife would buy them.
sardines are in fact,small pilchards!
i caught a pilchard on mackerel feathers 4 years ago off of beer in east devon,i wish that there were huge shoals of them off devon and dorset,as there is in cornwall!
what a source of cheap bait!
the pollack and cod which live around the mid channel wrecks between the south west and the channel islands are stuffed with sardines\pilchards at certain times of the year

L

levelspiker

i don`t know how asda can call their fish "fresh" sometimes! grey looking gutted herrings with dull brown eyes,mackerel that are black and blue etc etc,plus the smell!
proper fresh fish doesn`t smell too strong,except conger!
and yet,most supermarkets sell their meat when it`s too fresh and hasn`t been hung long enough.

Dave German

Reaction score
Thanks levels i will give the sardines a go, did'nt want defrosted ones.

T

The Piker

You are told in books ect.that fresh is best.

But i used the most smelly and off half mack the other day,it produced the only fish of the day.

Also a mate found some baits mackerel again it was past its best but he had a twenty on it..
There was an article in p&p a few years back where this chap swore by using bait well past its best..

Makes you think..

T

Tomo(b.a)

how can 1 go to say asda ect and buy bait? they all have there inners taken out thus losing the crunch wat pike love....?

J

jason fisher

can't be doing wi using stinky baits they make me hurl and then you got the chance of food poisoning, i've been there from refrozen baits and it's not a place i want to go again.

J

Jack Pike BA

I never caught owt on mackerel but recently what little pike fishing I have done, caught on completely different baits to the norm favourites such as sardines herring and lamprey my mate reckons that using something different works well in my case it did as I did,nt have a touch on the normals