do pike move from water to water

T

Tomo(b.a)

can anybody help me out here please!got chatting to a fellow piker at the weekend on the bank,when he tells me that pike when small (he didnt say how small)can vacate the river,lake,pond or brook they were born in and go on to diferent waters.
I find this very hard to belive,i asked him if he was getting the esox mixed up with the eel.
Can any of you lads shed any light on the matter ??????

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
Absolute nonsense sounds like another bank side expert getting his species wrong.

L

Les Clark

A lot of pikeys move around in vans and 4x4`s maybe this guy was a little confused .

Sharky

Reaction score
I've also heard that the 'eels crossing land' story is an old wives load of boll*cks!
I've never seen an eel out of water of its own accord and don't know anyone who has! Got to go now as a swan has just broken my arm.
OWWW!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Well they get into lakes and pools somehow Mr Sharky, they're not stocked and they don't have spawn carried between waters by bird life.

Also I saw a telly program about old wives tales and technically a swan is strong enough to break your arm if it was really pi**ed off. That's what they said anyhow.

Sharky

Reaction score
Elvers could stick to things.
Did the program on the telly also mention the spaghetti harvest?

T

Tomo(b.a)

I thought that i knew it but i didnt want to break this mans heart he hadnt caught all day and he was going into a trance while talking.... well a load of sh!t.
EELS DO ON THE OTHER HAND.(dont they)??????

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
No they didn't however I believe through climate change we are in for increased spaghetti prices as the harvest has been decreasing for the last 3 - 4 years.

The average price of a bowl of spaghetti bolognese could rise by as much as 30%

Sharky

Reaction score
Flying sauces by any chance?
seriously though PP, can you point me to anything conclusive that proves the eel leaves water and moves across land to find a new habitat.

C

Chris Bishop

I go for the eggs sticking to birds' feet and or plumage business myself.

Joskin

Reaction score
So if they dont travel over land how the hell do they manage to get from your local pond to the sargasso sea to spawn? On a ducks foot? I dont think so!
Ive shot plenty of ducks and geese in my time but never one with 2lb eel wraped around its leg.

C

Chris Bishop

Sorry, thought we were talking about pike and how they end up in "new" waters. They're usually one of the first species to arrive, no-one seems to have nailed down why and birds commuting between different waters are one possibility.

This eels moving across land thing sounds plausible - we all know they can live for ages out of water.

The only thing that strikes me is no-one's ever seen it or got a picture of it happening, to my knowledge.

fergal

Reaction score
ive witnessed elvers crawling up through moss beside a waterfall