Bird flu!

K

Kevan Farmer

The H5N1 strain of bird flu has been positively identified in the wild in France. Now, the latest thinking is that we in the UK should miss it this season. The reason being that migration patterns of wildfowl and other birds have already taken place. However, next season - later this year - the migratory birds will come over again. It is highly likely that we will see outbreaks of bird flu in this country. Most (all?) poulty farms will take action against this virus, there are procedures in place set up by government. But what about us anglers?

So far I have not seen any advice that is specific to anglers regarding bird flu. Why not? Surely there should be some sort of procedures in place? Maybe there are and I simply haven't heard of them yet? Well, assuming that we are going to be left on our own - I hope not - may I propose this simple set of rules:

1.If you arrive at your destination to start fishing and find dead water fowl or other birds present then report it immediately. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/disease/avianinfluenza.htm or http://tinyurl.com/2ae7w

2.Don't touch any of the birds or any feathers.

3.Wash off any of your fishing tackle with disinfectant when you get home - though personally I would not be setting up in that area anyway.

4.Let the controlling body of the water know what is going on.

For the latest information check out this website:
http://tinyurl.com/9hgr7

Lastly, my apologies if this sound like panic. It's not meant to be but this bird flu is a killer. As anglers we could be most at risk mainly because poultry and other bird industry workers have procedures in place for their safety.

L

Les Clark

A goose was reported dead and taken away by the power`s to be on a lake about 7 miles away ,this was reported yesterday on meridian news ,no mention of it today ,the lake it was found on is slap in the middle of the lake`s that I fish ,hopefully it just crashed into some power lines .

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I think it is a mile exclusion zone to be set up around any waters where suspect or infected birds are found. In the least waters will be close ddown.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Any type of flu can be a killer. In the U.K. alone it's known that flu kills a few thousand old and young people every year and that's why we have annual vaccinations.
Birds have been the main carriers of most strains of flu since times immemorial and thats why eggs are used to produce the vaccines.
Those people that have died in Asia during the past few months had very close contact with their poultry. Because most of them are on or below the poverty line their livestock is extremely precious to them and the common practice if a bird is showing signs of breathing difficulties is to give it mouth to be beak resussitation.
One interesting fact that has not been generally revealed about the parrot and the finch that were diagnosed with Avian flu whilst in quarantine in the U.K. was that 4 chickens were in the same cage and never contracted the virus so it can't be that easy to transmit.

Remember SARS (hope I got the name right) and the world wide panic about a possible pandemic? A few hundred in Asia died together with a few people in other countries including, I believe, the U.S.A. and then it all fizzled out.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have been doing some investigation regarding what might happen if a pandemic starts in the UK.

It does not make for pleasant reading.

All schools will be closed.

Railway travel will be banned.
Football matches and all types of sports where people gather in large numbers will be banned.

Pubs will be closed.

The total sale of tobacco will be banned.

People will only be allowed out of their houses wearing a special face masks.

Poultry farms and the birds in them will be burned to the ground.

Curfews in major towns will be strictly policed.

Many factories and business will be forced to close down.

Britain will go on a war footing.

Migratory birds entering the country will be shot.

Although the government has ordered 120m anti-viral injections, they could take up to 9 months to manufacture.

A minimum of 50k people will die.

Seriously, it does not sound very good at all.

And worst of all, the government will have to deal with the Animal Liberation Front whe will do their damnest to attack the vaccine manufacturers.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I saw 3 pigeons sneezing and a sparrow with a snotty beak the other morning while walking the dog

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

That what I like about you Ron; whatever happens you always look on the bright side!

R

I sincerely hope my informants are wrong Nigel.

K

Kevan Farmer

Having seen a publication that I should not have seen I know that Ron is actually right. The publication I have seen is an official one and I cannot say anymore than that on the source. It details the sort of measures that can be brought in if this sort of thing happens. We've all seen or heard about the conspiracy theorist types out there... believe me, they are not nutters. Joe Public does not know the true extent of 'emergency' powers that are and have been available for a long time. I don't mean this latest round either.

R

I got my info from a business contact in the NHS who shall remain nameless Kevan.

He also mentioned that all immigration and travel from Britain will be banned. Airports will be closed and if the pandemic escalates, private motoring and bus travel will be banned.

Sorry to say it lads but it's not bloody funny, I wish it was!

R

And by the way the first people to get the Anti-Viral will be the bloody civil servants, the b....d MPs and the Royal Family would you believe? And any anyone else who has the money to grease the palms of the bloody civil servants!!!

Blair will be the first to roll up his sleeve, you can bet!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

There is little evidence to suggest however that a pandemic is either imminent or likely, certainly this year.

A little perspective needed on this issue methinks!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

More bad news I'm afraid.

I was also talking to somebody who shall remain nameles at the weekend.

There is now no doubt that the South will suffer severe water shortages this year, irrespective of how much rain we have in the next few months.
The North will be okay.

J

john ledger

It will be just my luck for a pigeon with bird flu to crap on me

Joskin

Reaction score
Nothing can be that serious that they would shut the pubs!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"He also mentioned that all immigration will be banned"

That can't be bad can it ??