Website Stats

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've had a few emails telling about a fishing website's claim that they had over 9 million hits recently.

First of all, let's clear up what 'hits' really are. 'Hits' actually refers to the total number of files that are requested from the server. Therefore the number of hits to a site is always going to be significantly higher than the actual number of visits to the site. This is because a typical visit to a website will include 'hits' on a number of pages. Not only is each page counted as a hit, but all the graphics on every page requested also register as uniquely requested files, or 'hits'. Given the number of graphics on a typical webpage (including the navigation bar, highlight states of graphic menus and so forth), the difference between hits and visits is substantial.

I don't know what the 'hits' figure is for FishingMagic for I don't deal in meaningless figures. What I do is look at the website rankings as calculated by a respected third party organisation.

In the world rankings (all sites that is, not just fishing sites) FM has been ranked recently at around 85,000, where 1 is the best figure. Google is ranked 3.

Our nearest rival is ranked at 150,000.

The website claiming over 9 million hits is ranked at nearly 600,000.

B

Bob Watson

85,000th out of how many websites? Must be millions. So good going Fm or is it now FM

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Mudger, you having a beer at mo, kingfisher?

C

Chris Bishop

I think we call them unique page impressions at work.

M

Mark Hodson

If it was ranked at 600,000th then I'd hit it 9 million times with a cricket bat to try and put it out of its misery.

F

Frothey

i thought mandy would be at number 1, she's got a cracking site....

J

john ledger

Reckon its us old timers that have shoved it up the ratings. Send me cheque through the post Graham and make sure the bugger does not bounce(tight git that editor take yer last maggot)

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

"(tight git that editor take yer last maggot)"

That'd be your spare one I take it John.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
FM's probably dropped a bit now. The link put up by "ED" sends you to "rankling.com" (note the "l"). Their stats have just shot up!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Hey, you're at it again. I'm really generous, ask my mates, if you can find any.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Try this one:

Alexa

We're at 101,000 right now, which is the winter figure.

T

Terry Comerford

Woohoooo mines actually listed!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd like to thank my wife, my agent,(me) the editor (thats me again) my publicist (thats me again) oh yes Graham at FM and all of the production team (thats me again)
Thank you all. :)