reel help please

Matty C

Reaction score
Hiya guys,

I am looking to buy a pair of pit reels, however, I dont have loads of money, actually hardly any to spend on them.. I can buy a pair of "Wychwood Maximisers" for ?90, or a pair of "Ultimate Orsis" for ?80..

If any of you know about either of these reels, or would recommend one of them over the other, please say so..
I appreciate than nither of them are going to be super great reels, as they are both quite cheap, but they will serve well for what I need them for..

Cheers guys

Also, if any of you out there have a pair of pit reels you wanna sell cheaply, let me know

Matt

Golden

Reaction score
Matty, I bought one of the Wychwood Maximisers last year for use on my marker rod, with a view to buying a couple more for my UK Catfishing if I was happy with the first one.
The reel's OK, but you certainly get what you pay for. I eneded up buying two Shimano's rather than two more Maximisers.
If funds are tight, then you may be better off looking for a good second hand Shimano. There's a new model out so there's bound to be a few of the old ones on the market.

B

Bob Watson

Or do as I did and buy the discontinued Shimano at a discount price.

lilypad

Reaction score
You can pick up Daiwa Emcast Plus for around 45 quid each. excellent reel for the money.

C

Chris Bishop

Second that, Daiwa Emblems - previous model - are also very cheap, esp on eBay.

I've used the smaller size (5500..?)for piking and sea fishing for four years, they're built like tanks.

I got mine secondhand as well.

The bail arm rollers still work fine despite going over the side of the boat once or twice, dropped in the mud etc.

They do a bigger size but they're very heavy and more a sea reel.

B

Bob Watson

Another reel that goes cheap is the Aerlex my mate uses 4 on his pike rods, might be worth a look.

B

Bob Watson

Wasn't knocking them Rik, I agree good kit, but they do go for peanuts. I think you can pick them up for not much more than ?40 now.

Matty C

Reaction score
thanks alot for the help guys..

but..

does anyone know Where I can pick up second hand shimanos, Emblems and/or Aerlexes ?

Imma have a look on ebay now..

Thanks again guys

Matt

Matty C

Reaction score
can buy 2 "Aerlex XS 8000" for ?99.98..

2 "Wychwood Maximisers" for ?96

2 "Ultimate Orisis" for ?87

2 "Wychwood Rage 12K" for ?98

2 "Diawa Emcast 6000" for ?96

or 2 "Diawa Emcast Evo's" for ?99.98

which ones would any of you recommend.. ?

cheers guys

B

Bob Watson

I've just thought on, My mate was selling some second hand hand emblems or emcasts, can't remember which, I'll bell him today and find out.

Sorry Rik, putting the two posts together, you (I) could read it both ways!

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers guys..

If you could have an ask as to how much your mate is selling them for, I would be very greatful Bob.. Thanks for the thought

Thanks again guys

Matt

Peter Webb 4

Reaction score
MattyC ~~~~~~~~ Don't buy the Ultimate Osiris.They look very nice but the clutch is useless.It takes about 5 turns from tight to freespool.If you are interested I have 3 Shimano Biomaster 8000XSs'for sale.Spare spools,boxed and in good condition.Clutches are perfect.?40 each plus p.p.

Matty C

Reaction score
Cheers Pete.. wont buy the Orisis'..

About your Shimano's.. if youre interested in selling 2 of them to me, Ill buy them in a jiffy.. Will understand if you only want to sell 3, but I cant afford 3 Im afraid..

Get back to me n lemmi know what you decide about them dude

Thanks for the help

Matt

B

Big Rik

?40 each, that's got to be ?110 for the 3 inc P+P......

go on, barter.....

B

Bob Watson

Matty, the emcasts have gone, there was 4 of them, went for ?30 each, tough luck there, you missed a bargain.

I'd have had them bio's myself a few weeks ago,,DOH!!

Peter Webb 4

Reaction score
Matty ~~~~~~~ If you are interested I will do you 2 Biomasters for ?80 including postage.Bob Watson obviously doesn't like them but I can assure you that they are a great casting reel (alot of casting tournaments have been won with them )and the line lay is spot on and the clutches are very positive.Let me know what you think ~~~~~ Pete.

B

Bob Watson

I do like em, but I 've bought new bios' myself recently. Don't know how you work out I don't like em????

I quote "I'd have had them bio's myself a few weeks ago,,DOH!!"