Distance fishing

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I normally put in quite a few miles with my fishing - but I've noticed the massive rise in fuel costs.

I earn a very generous salary but I'm starting to restrict my travelling - gone are the days of a 150-200 mile round trip for a days fishing.

Has anyone else tightened their travelling belt?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Its certainly a consideration but this is what I do so its sort of an unavoidable expense. Its more likely that I will restrict the number of times I go [and I dont go as often as I'd like to anyway] or economise on bait/bits. Me and my mate have always shared the driving anyway.

This is a serious issue for a lot of anglers but personally I will look to economise elsewhere as well as maybe not travelling quite so far quite so often....not that I travel huge distances to go fishing on a regular basis anyway.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Fill up with agric diesel. :wh :wh :wh

Ooops! Websites have eyes and informants!!! :( :p :D

Mines petrol, BTW!!!

Yes, I will consider distance to some extent, but a tenner to £15 is about as much as I'd spend anyway - apart from Clattercote. Certainly won't be any very long distance travelling.

flightliner

Reaction score
I used to fly solo down to the fens --230 miles round trip from Sheffield on one or two of the longer runs but these days I will still go but I would be looking for a car share partner.

guest61

Reaction score
I have become hesitant to travel long distances to fish - but fuel cost isn't a reason.

I found that putting the effort in and concentrating on some of my local venues produced some (for me) great catches. The extra time spent fishing presented an opportunity to try a few things.

When I made the 100+ mile round trips the time spent travelling was 'unwelcome' - finishing a session on the Ribble at midnight and then faced with over an hour of travelling home when I was 'Alistair Cooked' was potentially dangerous.

Mark

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Pensions and petrol prices aren't exactly in step; mercifully I've got a couple of still-waters I can cycle to, and I'll have to get started on that soon. But it's knackered my river fishing.

slade

Reaction score
It's not just fuel costs that are restricting my travelling, I'm well and truly fed up with sitting in traffic ! It's ok going early in the morning, but on Sunday afternoons / evenings the roads are as busy as a weekday now. One day I'm sure that the whole of the South is going to grind to a halt in one big traffic jam.

marginman

Reaction score
Myself ,Bro in Law and his mate joined a club just over the border from us in the next county because it always had good waters they have now lost 2 of them due to neglect the other Lakes are too much of a journey now .

After visiting our local towns club waters which are either within the town or just outside (15 drive ) and fish quite well we hear, all 3 of us have decided to join this year and its cheaper than the other club. So just goes to show unless you walk the waters locally and do a bit of homework its suprising what is on your doorstep....