Can anyone describe to me more about Jerkbaiting?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've just read another article (this time in Midland Angler) and not one of these articles has adequeately described to me the prescice action, timing a speed require to make jerkbaiting work.

I've also read that multipliers are more suited than fixed spool reels, but why?

I'd like to think I have my head around the tackle and jerkbaits themselves but is there anyone out there who can fill in the blanks?

B

Bob Watson

Matt, look HERE and HERE also follow a few links, but check This one out.

These sites taught me loads before I even wet a lure, still had no monsters on lures but the thrill is in the catching and not the size.

Stick a multi on a six foot rod and you'll "feel" why it's right after a few casts, try it.

C

Chris Bishop

You can't keep the line under control or retrieve it fast enough to pick up the slack with a fixed spool reel, which is also useless for working lures with downward taps of the rod.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Quite true Chris.

I spent 20 years using crankbaits, jerkbaits and other types of lures and quite honestly a fixed spool reel is as good as useless for this sort of work.

You also should use a decent braided line and a shortish pistol grip rod that will pop a hook into the bony jaw of a predator with the flick of the wrist.

ALL the top lure anglers in the world use a baitcasting reel and rod. It makes sense.

You can also cast much more accurately with a baitcasting reel using thumb control on top of the spool. Try doing that with a fixed spool reel. Nowhere near as good.

R

And another point. In any one day you might cast hundreds of times. Doing that with a fixed spool reel and a 2 to 3 oz lure will bugger up your finger - I kid you not.

R

The other thing you can't do with a fiixed spool reel is to literally "crank" a fish out of heavy cover by pointing the rod at the fish and winding as hard and fast as you can.

Then you grab the rod with both hands and heave. Hence the 50 lb minimum test line. Fixed spool reels will not take this sort of treatment.

Make sure the star drag on your reel is tightened up as tight as possible. A reel with a "flippin' switch" is a good idea here.

Some Americans actually tighten up the star drag with a pair of pliers.

One of the techniques we used to use for large mouth bass was called "flippin'" the Yanks like leaving out the g.

You use a pistol grip rod with virtually no flex in it at all, about 7 1/2 feet long with an action like a snooker cue.

You take two loops of line from the reel and above the first guide and flip out the lure, right into a mass of lilly roots or a sunken tree etc.

When you feel the tap of a fish you set the hook, wind and then heave in one motion.

I've swung 4 lb bass straight into the boat using this tactic more times than I can remember.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Cheers folks. Bob, there's some fantastic articles you've led me to. Cheers!

I still can't figure out the sort of retireve necessary.

Do I jerk the rod down so the lure glide a yard or two, then reel in the slack and do the same? Does the lure need to remain stationary at an time or should it always be moving? Should I be adjusting the retirve depending on the conditions and depth?

Has anyone spotted an video of anything that might help me?

Ron, I guess I need to have a dabble with a multiplier.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Don't get too hung up on this. There isn't a "right" way or a "wrong" way. Lots of different retrieves catch and different lures demand different retrieves. It's best to work out what suits you/your waters/your lures.

There are some video clips here that might help

http://hawgseekers.com/

R

That's right Matt. Go and get yourself an outfit. Try Harris Angling.

There are some good reels available at reasonable prices these days. I have an old Shimano Bantam LHW which is perfect for jerkbaiting. I have caught bass to 7lbs and a few double figure pike with it in the past. If you want to borrow it you are welcome.

You need a decent rod to go with it. A pistol grip 6 1/2 to 7 footer is ideal. Again have a look at Harris Angling.

My problem is that there is so much fishing to do and so little time left!

Lure fishing for predatory fish is bloody good fun Matt. Next step is to fly fish for them.

R

By the way I would suggest you give the Idle a bash in the lower reaches. There are plenty of medium sized pike there.

But if you see John Ledger, give him a wide berth...... :eek:)

R

Another suggestion, If I went into lure fishing in a big way I would get myself a gye net with a peel sling.

You can throw this over your shoulder and away you go.

These nets will land 30 pound fish with no problem.

B

Bob Watson

Matt, I got the Bulldogger from Harris angling, a beast of a rod that will chuck the biggest baits, think magnum dawgs and then some. Don't skimp on the reel, an Abu 6500c3 or 6501c3 (good prices HERE) if you want to wind with your left hand. Dave Lumbs traces are spot on, the clips are bombproof and never come undone, I use the wire, never felt the need for titanium. Stick 80 or 100lb power pro on the multi but put a few turns of mono on first to stop slippage. I personally wouldn't advise going over 6' - 6'6" for a jerkbait rod. You don't want the tip in the water when working it, it could lead to the line wrapping around the tip, disaster if a fish takes.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Thanks once again. Eric, those videos have told me everything I think I need to know. Thanks.

Ron, I'm going to put off buying any more spinning gear as I've bough two lure rods a reel in the last two months as it is! Do you fancy coming out lure fishing somewhere locally when it warms up a little?

Cheers Bob. Any thoughts of the Daiwa multipliers?

B

Bob Watson

Never used them Matt but being Daiwa they should be OK. All mine are Abu.