Into Middle Earth..........

dezza

Reaction score
On Monday I leave Sydney for a magical land that has often been called "Middle Earth, Narnia and Paradise all rolled into one".

Or in other words: New Zealand.

And I'm all set up for trout and salmon fishing on two of South Island's best rivers, interspersed with beach fishing for a variety of salt water species.

This is my first visit to angling heaven and after speaking with my host a few minutes ago, I am starting to champ at the bit.

Whooo Hooo!!

Reaction score
Good to hear from you again Ron...they're filming the Hobbit out there at the moment...looking forward to spotting you when it hits the screens...isn't there a character called Wiseron the Rotherhamer in the latter stages of the book?

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Can I ask the knowledgeable on this site, what is a talking loin?

I have never read about these, are they indiginous to the Southern Hemisphere?

I must admit I have met a few characters over the years who talk from an area very close to the loin though!

tortoise100

Reaction score
Forget trout and salmon check out the eels .
If I was going there trout and salmon would not get a look in also there is some of the best sea fishing in the world around there .

The Monk

Reaction score
Crikey Monk, that was short and the cameraman looked as if he was so plastered he fell on his side at one stage. ;) :) :D

Yeah it was funny that Woody, somebody sent it me by mail, but I`m not sure who sent it, it looks like it was taken on one of those camera vid phone thingies, rare footage actually of a jazz session I did while touring with the East Lancs Railway jazz band, Djingo Rainhat and the Plonkers, Ron likes a bit of jazz you see, but give me a bit of metal anyday, lol

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Forget trout and salmon check out the eels .
If I was going there trout and salmon would not get a look in also there is some of the best sea fishing in the world around there .

Big Eels, Anguilla australus, 20 pounders in the little mud streams, Rons well aware of these beauties of course

The Monk

Reaction score
Yes just a poor quality single I`m afraid Ged, my manager Peter Grunt was concerned about its release, we don`t normally do singles and rely on our live tours and album sales, I think he had a word with the bootlegger afterwards, lol

dezza

Reaction score
Yes, New Zealand is a great place with wonderful rivers and excellent, although challenging fly fishing. I've caught 8 trout up to now, all on weighted pheasant tail nymphs, fished upstream, under a strike indicator using a clear floating line.

It will be my last day on the rivers tomorrow, then it's back to Cronulla on Sunday. But I'll be back to NZ make no mistake about that.

"But we don't like Monkses, nasty horrid Monkses, do we?"

The Monk

Reaction score
haha course you do, everyone likes Monkses, lol

Sounds like your being spoiled out there mate

bennygesserit

Reaction score
New Zealand Fishing

Hi

I don't know what the etiquette is on this forum and being new I don't want to upset anyone but there is an excellent fishing blog from New Zealand on the other forum I use

New Zealand 2010/11 | Gofishing.co.uk

If its not the done thing to post articles from another forum please feel free to amend my post and I will understand that its not the done thing on here but its a very detailed and very interesting read.