Carp Diet

L

Les Clark

After reading Big Rik`s article on washed out baits ,and one or two people said that some carp seem to have a prefrence to feed on one brand of boilie over all other`s made me think about the carps normal diet .

Is it possible that the boilie is now considered has part of the day to day diet for carp ,tench cats ect ,after all the boilie has been around for about 50 years ,so in many waters it is well established has a food source .
If this is the case and carp in some cases are "picking " out their favourite boilies ,can most carp in most lakes still be considered to be wild fish or are they becomeing farmed fish to a degree ?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I would agree with that, as you say to a degree.

There is no way, I believe, that the carp in this country, and other fish, would reach the sizes they do without effectivley being fed (The big fat bellies compared to a sleek river carp are evidence in themselves).

I personally prefer river fishing partially for this reason, the fish are more likely to have grown on a natural diet.

I of course appreciate each to their own and I have been known to visit a commercial occasionally, it's just my preference that's all.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Paul, three issues with what you write above mate:

1) In my humble opinion, not all large carp have big fat bellies!

2) You imply that all venues excepting rivers are commercial venues!

3) Are you saying that river-caught carp eat nothing but naturally available food?

N

NottmDon

Good points Les. I reckon,even if they do show a preference for a certain boilie they are still wild at heart, and they do consider boilies as just another "normal" food source.

If one thinks that most, if not all carp are now reared on fish farms and fed from a very early age on pellets then they must think that pellets or "fishmeals" (produced by man) are indeed just "normal" food.

Having said that it doesnt make it any easier to catch the biggies so their "wild" instincts are still working dont you think?

Paul H

Reaction score
Malc,

Sorry I'm not having a pop at anyone here, just my preferences.

1) No I agree not all large carp have fat bellies but looking at the photo's in the press of large lake caught fish many do.

2) Also of course I accept there are non commercial non river venues also. I would love a large estate tench lake near me.

3) I said river fish are 'more likely' to have grown on a natural diet, again there will be exceptions like the 'traveller' in the Ouse for example.

Paul H

Reaction score
Dom,

I agree with that also, you can't remove an animals instincts just by providing them with a plentiful food source, in fact they will if anything develop instincts relating to that food source.

Farmed trout though are pellet fed however still caught on the fly when they react to their instincts. I'm sure they still eat 'natural' food as well when they encounter it.

To me farmed implies a fish which is intentionally stocked and then has it's natural diet supplemented with a man made food source to increase it's growth rate/size or to compensate for the number of fish compared to natural food.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
"Sorry I'm not having a pop at anyone here, just my preferences."

No worries, I realise that mate! ;o)

L

Les Clark

Paul ,I wasn`t thinking about commercial`s but I feel that some club water`s and commercials are in fact are getting closer at the end product by the prolonged use of boilies and the only difference being the size of the carp .
Paul ,if you read your last paragraph ,you have more or less said it all yourself :
"To me farmed inplies a fish which is intentionally stocked and then has its natural diet supplemented with a man made food source to increase its growth rate /size or to compensate for the number of fish compared to natural food "
Im not trying to say it has been intentional ,but over the years I feel that we have ourselfs to blame for the partly "farmed " carp.

Paul H

Reaction score
Absolutely, no argument there, the demand for fisheries is higher than ever and they are stocked well over a natural number of fish so the only way to ensure they are fed is to feed them.

i.e boilies / pellets.

This is one reason I like rivers, yes we still use boilies and pellets but not to the same extent and the fish will have a diet which mostly consists of natural foods.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Im not sure thay are seen as natural as they still seem to express a certain amount of caution when approaching them but they will realise a good widely available foodsource i think the reason some fish seem to have a preference is mainly due to that particular flavour may have been prebaited well and the fish are used to finding that bait with no lines or hooks in it and feel more confidant with it.

F

Frothey

bloodworm are naturals, and fish still approach "known" heavily fished bloodworm beds with caution...

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
is it the fact that they are heavily fished or because there are lines about do they express the same caution if there have been no lines in it for a couple of days?