Quiver or Rod Holdall

B

Bob Car

I am torn between using either a quiver or a holdall and feel that I must ask fellow anglers for their views. I know that a lot of you will favour the holdall but I feel that for ease of carrying a quiver might be better but I do realise that with your rods exposed damage may occur unless any one knows of a way to protect them and hold them in place whilst transporting them. Can anyone reccommend a decent but reasonablly priced Quiver/Holdall as there are so many on the market.

A

Andy Bird

i always used a holdall until this year .
i prefer the quiver now having used it all year . they are lighter, you can pack up and move around the lake quicker and you don't have to try and get a zip to work when its caked it mud. has for protection ,its generally the rod tips that would get damaged if any damage occured, all
you need to do is get a length of plumbers pipe lagging, foam insulation, cut a piece about 12inches long and split it up the length on one side, place it around the exposed tip of the rod and butt section it also holds them in place .
Have a look in the carp mags if you subscribe you get a free quiver with some of them ,cant be bad for ?30 .
hope this helps

B

Bob Car

Thanks Andy, I know what you mean about ease of packing up this is the main reason for me thinking of which to use. As for the pipe lagging that seams to be a very useful tip. Can you surgest a mag that would have that type of offer if not which one would you reccommend cause with some you would pay extra for the name but they all do the same thing.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Coarse Fisherman is currently offering a very nice quiver holdall free with a subscription. It doesn't say so on the subscription page which is waiting to be updated (not our fault by the way!) but just phone the contact number and tell them you want a quiver holdall.

Click here for the contact numbers: <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/magms/cf/Subscribe.asp>Coarse Fisherman</A>

N

Neil (Gaff) Gaffan

i prefer a quiver because you can keep your normal kit inside the centre void and chop and change which rods you are going to use each session without having to cover the living room in mud. i use the Nash Nomad so that i can get my Viper inside reducing the number of trips back to the car! none of the quivers on the are expensive as such, but, if you are doing day sessions only there is no need to buy a huge Nomad Quiver!

C

Chris Bishop

Quivers because you can carry rods made up.
Pipe insulation's a good way to protect them (hadn't thought of that, even though I've usually got some in back of the car...), otherwise there are various bands, tip-tops etc available.

Make sure you reverse the sections - ie carry the broken down rod with tip section strapped to the handle - as this stops a lot of potential problems.

Make sure the quiver has a sep pocket for each rod and a strong retaining strap for extra security so the rods can't fall out.

Much easier than a poxy holdall..!

R

Ron Clay

Quivers - they are much lighter and for all the reasons mentioned by Chris

J

John Tait

I have an `Aqua` 3-rod quiver, which replaced a KN holdall - it is a far superior piece of kit, and actually comes with a `hood` (for want of a better description) which covers the contents and the top foot or so of the quiver. I am not sure if Aqua still do the 3-rod quiver, but they certainly do a 4-rod one - complete with `hood`.

Jonty

S

Stuart Bullard

Both. It depends on what fishing I am doing. If its short stay or roaming a light quiver. If its long stay lake fishing, then I will go for the added protection of a hoadall

A

Andy Bird

Bob , i think advanced carp fishing,total carp magazines where doing the offer with the free quiver i'm not sure if they still are though .The one i'm currently using is the catch carp classic it suits me perfect .And you buy one for ?30 .

B

Bob Car

Well what can I say, just got in from work and turned on this contraption and logged on to my favourite site only to find that I had numerous replies to my thread as I am fairly new to this web I was somewhat taken back by the response, but then fellow fishermen are like northeners very friendly and that coming from a southerner but thats not to say southerners are'nt friendly sometimes they are. Anyway back to the question of Quiver or Holdall it would appear that a lot of you favour the Quiver for ease of carrying and its versatillity, well keep the answers coming and once again THANKYOU VERY MUCH for your advice one and all

K

Keith Manger

I use a quivers for most of my fishing; I only use a holdall when I am carrying more than three rods. I have also bought padded rod sleeves which completely encase each rod. These rod sleeves protect the rods whether made up or not while the rods are attached to the quiver. be careful when buying one though as one that I looked at had a press stud fixing to hold the top of the rods which was not strong enough and kept coming undone. Also I have one that is far too large and when loaded up is twice as difficult to carry than a Holdall (this one has remained unused).

B

Bob Car

Keith, Could you describe for me the two that you have told me to keep away from as I obtained one and its a combination of the two that is why I asked the original question cause the rods seem very loose and move about too much for my liking.

C

Carp Angler

I bought a Shimano holdall earlier this year and the full length padded rod sleeves (the ones Graham has just reviewed) and these clip to the holdall making it a superb piece of kit.
Problem is, it's too bloody big.
I can get all my rods attached to it and my bivvy in the centre, stick my stainless in the outer pockets plus net etc etc, but once all that is loaded it's too heavy to carry and totally unbalanced to secure to the barrow.

I've now gone back to my old Wychwood quiver, but the rodrest pocket zip has just gone so I may be in the market for a new one myself.

The padded rod sleeves are absolutely fantastic though and I would recommend them to anyone.

B

Bob Car

Rik, can I get the padded sleeves at B/mth Lodge and at what cost.

C

Carp Angler

I got mine from Pongos, they retail at about ?20.
I've looked at Ivors site and they don't list it, but they don't list much anyway.
I would imagine he could get them for you, or try the lard monster Richie on 01425 475155.
He'll get you some and probably cheaper too.

G

GYPSY DAVE

Bob,Aren't You lucky you the got Wychwood!
I should know!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just adjust the buckle strap. It stops the rattle. You know it makes sense Rodney.
G.D.

B

Bob Car

Is that the buckle on my trousers or the quiver?. Nice to see you back on line missed your replies for the last few nights.How are you been up to much would E-mail you but the server is down.

G

GYPSY DAVE

Too many friends having to have jabs and find their passports getting in touch for doing this, but trying to keep in touch.
Serious result for the Big Man methinks. Hope the buckle stays as tight as your lines.
Best Fishes,
G.D.