Guy Robb's PVA Edge

Reaction score
My good lady bought me 'Barbel-Up Close & Personal' part 2 for christmas and in it Guy Robb is using vast sheets of PVA for pre-baiting.

I've racked my brains as to where to source such a product but have to admit I didn't get very far short of opening a business account with an international petrochemical business which is not very practical.

Any hints or ideas? It would be very useful on small/ medium rivers...

chris calvert

Reaction score
Stuart Morgan is the one that demonstrares the pva sheet, Guy Rob is the other ugly bugger.

Dont be taken in by it ****y the sheet of pva thing isnt necessary. The better edge that he demonstrates is the method mix and the bait bombs. Several pva stockings will do exactly the same thing and lets face it will make less disturbance. I use safety pins to connect a pva stocking to a swivel on my rig, Once the pva has melted just retrieve the rig. Its kind of like a bait dropper but without the need to tackle down to use it.

Reaction score
The bait bombs look the absolute biz Chris I have to admit. I'm taking delivery of mine this weekend.

The reason for the pva question is that i fish the Teme a lot and in those all too rare now 'good' summer barbel conditions when the river is up and coloured after a bit of rain...

(you may laugh but it might happen!)

a large bed of bait presented into a few pools followed by a snooze and return in rotation is the order of the day. Under those conditions I would rather deliver my prebait in a swim in one hit rather than the constant disturbance of the bait dropper or balling in.

I use PVA for most of my barbelling in one form or anot

chris calvert

Reaction score
****y if your fishing the Teme do yourself a favour and buy, beg, borrow or steal the latest book from Trefor West. Its called 'Barbel a lifetimes addiction'. Trust me mate you wont regret it he is Mr Barbel and most of what he writes about in the book is the river Teme. After reading it I dont think you will be asking qustions about pva at all furthermore I dont think you will be using anywhere near as much bait.

Reaction score
In fairness to Guy,

Despite Chris's harsh words and for the sake of a balanced argument...

My missus reckons Guy cuts quite a dash with a record barbel! The David Seaman look is, quite clearly, back!;-)

Mind you she has a crush on Mick Brown too!

chris calvert

Reaction score
I was only joking and those fish are very impressive arent they. I have both the summer and the winter films and they are good no denying. Just out of interest have you tried any of the John Baker baits yet and if you have have you caught on them yet?

chris calvert

Reaction score
Yeah I knew you knew that I knew that you were only joking, no need to appologise you know.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Re the PVA, i heard somewhere before, could have been on here, that the largest comercal users of PVA were hosptals, apparently they put dirty/contaminated clothing into large PVA bags and tie them off to stop everything else that they come into contact with getting contaminated. then they get stuffed into the washing machine in the PVA bag and come out sparkiling minus PVA! Clever or what!

In other words find out where the hospital sources them and your onto a winner, I think they would need to be made up at home though and carried in a waterproof bag. I too thought it was a brilliant edge used in the right condidtions.

B

Bully

****y - I think you overestimate the effects of "disturbance through constant use of a baitdropper".

If you put in a load through BD's and leave it will have the same effect.

I used to regularly bait up areas for 2-3 hours on the top of the Medway and put in a final droppers worth 30 minutes before dusk and it never created any problems.

D

Deecy ACA

****y I am sure if you contact MO'S - CO. PVA they will assist. http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/moscopva/frames.ht for contact details.
They make their smaller bags from big sheets.I also recall seeing PVA pillow bags from a company called Temple products. These were sold as pillow sized pva bags for use on big bait boats or for dropping off proper boats.
just done a search for you , see below , yes they still do them. I have used both of these companies in the past, anyone who buys PVA bags from the big companies must be mad !!
Regards
Dave
TEMPLE PRODUCTS
26, CUSDEN DRIVE,

ANDOVER, HANTS.

SP10 3PF

Tel.01264324734

PROPRIETOR TIM WAGNER

CUSTOMER PRICE LIST

SOLID PVA LONG BAGS WITH SEALING TAPE APPROX 150 X 85mm ?12 per 50 ?22 PER 100

SOLID PVA STANDARD BAGS WITH SEALING TAPE APPROX 120 X85 MM ~?9 PER 50 ?16 PER 100

SOLID PVA MINI BAGS WITH SEALING TAPE APPROX 85 X 85 MM ?8 PER 50 ?14 PER 100

SOLID PVA MICRO BAGS WITH SEALING TAPE APPROX 100 X 50 MM ?16 PER 100

ECO FRIENDLY EXTRA LONG DISSOLVABLE NUGGETS ?1.50 2 LITRES

PVA SHEETING TO MAKE YOUR OWN BAGS 10 SHEETS 1 MTR X 300 MM ?10

WILL MAKE UP TO 120 BAGS
PLEASE MAKE ALL CHEQUES PAYABLE TO TIM WAGNER

chris calvert

Reaction score
Deccay, wow excellant post mate thanks for the info. Carefull the tackle companies dont move for your exclusion from the forum though. Thanks again.

G

Guy Robb

The P.V.A bags in the film are used in hospitals..the nurses use them to remove soiled linen..they then can be chucked into a washer without the need to come into contact with poss infections..and they cost peanuts..

Reaction score
Thanks Guy for coming clean (if you see what I mean)on the PVA trickery.

I really enjoyed the DVD, will you and Stuart be making another together?

I particularly liked Ray Walton's cameo...how many bleeps?