east anglia pike (help)

david nye

Reaction score
hi im going to clacton on sea for the summer with the kids can anyone give me a couple of venues with tips for the waters to try im willing to travel an hour up to the broads if necessary so any help will do.......dave

C

Chris Bishop

People don't tend to be too venue-specific these days.

If it helps the Broads and their rivers all hold pike, most are free fishing and you can find out where to hire boats etc in John Wilson's Where To Fish in Norfolk and Suffolk.

david nye

Reaction score
thanks for the advise chris im always open to advise especially as ive only fished for pike 3 times all at loch ken in scotland.........

C

Chris Bishop

Broads are very different, I'd get a copy of John Wilson's book - around ?6 - as it will pay for itself several times over if you've never been down here before.

david nye

Reaction score
what makes them so different chris will my 2 and 3/4 and 3lb test curve rods be ok or are they too stiff.....dave

Reaction score
David,

I went to the Broads for the first time for a day out last February and had a glorious blank. It is a spectacularly beautiful place away from the touristy areas. I was privileged to see marsh harriers...superb!

I bought the Wilson book before I went and, as Chris says, it is very good. I didn't catch but my mate had a beautiful pb of 16lb.

C

Chris Bishop

It's not the rods, most of the non-landlocked broads and the rivers have massive boat traffic in the summer and static bait fishing is virtually impossible during daylight.

Most summer pikers on the Broads lure fish for short sessions early morning or evening.

There's limited access to a lot of places from the bank so you really need a boat.

The price of hire craft goes up in the summer, so it can get pretty pricy.

C

Chris Bishop

Winter is far better, great place to fish as ****y says.

david nye

Reaction score
i will get the book i will have a look on ebay or on amazon and pick it up asap im really lookin forward the the piking

C

Chris Bishop

My local tackle shop did sell it, not sure if there are any left but let me know if you have problems and I might be able to find one.

david nye

Reaction score
thanks ****y i saved that page and im going to get the book as well.....dave

Reaction score
Try Abberton Reservoir or Ardleigh Reservoir (dependant on ticket arrangements nowadays).
Both much closer to Clacton (Ardleigh 25mins)
You could give Alton Water a bash, though the piking's not what it used to be (near Ipswich)