TROUT FEEDING OFF THE TOP?

W

wyepike

I am fishing a smallish trout water next weekend for pike. Are a couple of good pike in the pit up to 30 plus. Depths up to 12ft ish. What I was wondering whether by feeding maggots, or floating pellets I could get the trout feeding actively in the swim and potentially attract the pike? I assume the water has a mix of browns and rainbows to the usual sizes.

What I dont know is where the trout might be in the current weather and whether they could be stimulated into feeding.

Will be on deadbaits not livebaits and plan to use baits off the bottom so very visible.

Any ideas or thoughts welcomed!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
The problem with maggots and Trout is usually avoiding the fish! If you feed them little and often anywhere near Trout they will latch on to them for sure.

Just make sure the rules allow this.

G

Ged

I see your ploy, get the trout feeding, hope the pike move in on the trout. You fish your dead baits near to the feeding trout, hopefully the pike will move on to your dead bait.
Maggots or pellets? It all depends on how long the trout have been stocked in the pond. If stocked recently, go with pellets. Try both floating and sinking pelets. If no trout come to the floating pelets, stick with sinking.
Could well be worth having maggots as well.

keora

Reaction score
It's worth a try. I'd check with the fishery rules first about groundbaiting, especially if it's a fly only water.