An Uncommon Common

S

Stuart Johnson

Rik, absolutely fantastic. The look on your face says it all. A brilliant fish for a brilliant angler. Well done mate.

G

Gary Knowles

Well done mate, it just goes to show that its the personal goals you set yourself that mean the most when you finally acheive that milestone.

I'm sure you have, and will catch bigger, but I suspect this one will remain a special capture for sme time.

Well done again mate - I may even buy you a pint sometime...........

P

Paul Williams

Stunning and deserved and it proves that even in carping there is still some pioneering to be done.......but i know were you caught it and if you don't invite me i'm gonna grass....LOL

M

Malcolm Bason

Nice looking fish Rik. Well done on its capture and for the interesting write-up.

D

David OLoughlin

Rik, well done I'm really pleased for you. Even the missus who can see the screen from the settee is impressed & Ella my 2 year old says "ooww big fish daddy!"
As a point of interest, with hindsight do you think that the fact you caught the carp in the late afternoon had something to do with the evening pre-baiting programme? Or were you hoping the carp would be there in the morning, after feeding overnight?

C

Carp Angler

Firstly, thanks for all the nice comments, I normally keep my carp captures to myself but this feat, as anyone who fishes the lake will tell you, needed telling.

David, the point about the fish entering the area in readiness for the pre-bait is quite valid, although because of the lack of carp in the lake it is hard to say whether the bait was visited on a daily basis or that could have been it's first visit to the area this year.

Being unable to spot or sight the carp means that the mapping of patrol routes, feeding areas and resting areas is impossible.

The prebait was put into an area that I thought (gut feeling) would give me a decent chance and was in an area that I thought/hoped that the carp may travel over.

B

Bob Car

Congratulations Rik all the hard work paid off.Very good write up.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks Rik, & it shows that all these 'badger blasts' that I read about can't put the fish off.

A

Alan Fawcett

OI carp angler

what have i told you about fishing the pond in my back garden???

Nice one Rik well done mate (now all i've gotta do is better it (no harm in dreaming)

F

Fred Bonney

Brilliant Rik, both the write up & the fish.
I'm certain this will help us newcomers.

R

Ray Bewick

Rik - watercraft, hard graft, no casting to the horizon, application of aquired knowledge, etc an embarrassment of praise.
......U da man.

What next..... a 40 on on the artificial fly? ;-)

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Stunning fish mate, top job. And probably one of the best looking carp I've seen for long time, not one of those 'gut buckets'.

On top of your 11lb barb last Friday, I guess you could say you have had a fair week!

P

Paul Williams

"Fair" week Coops....Graham has said he would buy him a pint!!! if that were to happen in the same week it would be truelly momentous!! ;o)

D

Dave Johnson

The Orange and Vodafone network nearly went down yesterday afternoon with text messages alone to blame.........wonder what the cause was then......?

and msn was busy last night with files travelling the the country......mainly originating from New Forest area.....
well done again mate

A

Andrew Thomas

Have you ever used that groundbait mix/technique for barbel? Sounds like it might work. That has to be one of the best looking commons I've ever seen. One good fish can be incredibly satisfying in the right circumstances.

C

Carp Angler

Andrew, I use that mix quite a lot on my prebaiting, it's so easy to make an enormous batch and freeze down 200 balls.

Earlier this year I pre-baited a swim at Throop on the Dorset Stour for 5 evenings and had the chub attacking the balls as they were sinking through the water.
Unfortunately when I went the next morning to fish it, someone else was already in the swim, one of the many pitfalls of pre-baiting, I wouldn't have minded too much if he had caught a load, but a bright red jacket and sat right over the fish meant he had only had one chub.

It really is a very cheap way to almost guarentee fish, if applied correctly.
25kg Haiths Red Band pidgeon conditioner = ?15
25kg trout pellets = ?14
15kg Vitalin = ?7

You'll probably get through 4 sacks of Vitalin to use up the Red Band and TP's

So for ?57 you get 110 kilos of dry bait, making about 200 kilos of prepared feed.

Sounds like a bargain to me.
(Oh yeah, it works quite well too)