Salt water Roach ?

Beecy

Reaction score
Saw an episode of ?wet nets? last night where Matt Hayes and Mick Brown were fishing in Sweden in the Baltic Sea. They were catching Perch, Roach and Bream but also said Sea Trout, Herring and Mackerel could be caught but didn?t explain how this was so ? any one know?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The Baltic also has some very large pike. I presume that the levels of salinity are such that coarse fish can thrive similar to certain tidal estuaries in the UK.I am not sure if the Baltic has any special characteristics?

Beecy

Reaction score
with that range of food on offer Im not surprised the pike are big Nigel.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Balitc has very low levels of salinity.

In fact, a lot of the Ide and Bream overwinter in the baltic from the rivers of Southern Sweden (around the Malmo, Skane area) but when they return to the rivers (in late April) they are revenous - hence the very large weights in the annual Scandinavian masters Festival held over 4 days in the last full week of April.

I have fished that festival myself on 3 ocassions and the number of fish caught is totally astonishing.

Beecy

Reaction score
Is that because they dont feed in the salt water Peter or is there not enough food for them ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Beecy,

Oh, they do feed and by the time they are coming back up the rivers they are revenous again.

Weights of 100 kilos are quite often recorded for a single day in the 5 haour matches.

L

Les Clark

Just got this off a website ,cant do a link so this is the main bits Ive picked out .

A salinity barrier exists between the surface to the seabed of the Baltic at about 40-70 metre .
Saline water is naturally heavier than fresh water ,flows along the bottom of the sea .
The salinty barriers prevent the exchange of substance`s ,ie, oxygen ,nutrients and pollutants.
Both the oxygen deficency and the hydrogen sulfide production (toxic gas ) combine to make the bottom of the baltic sea virtully lifeless .

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Beecy,

It's not salt water as we know it. As you get further away from the North Sea the salinity in the Baltic reduces accordingly. From memory it goes from 50% down to 15%. Coarse fish can thrive in this brackish water provided there is no danger of 100% strength saltwater. I have been astounded how far down coarse fish are found in Poole and Christchurch Harbours; you end up with swims that have a right mixture of dace, roach, bass, flounders, mullet, gobies, eels, seatrout. Even seen a pouting caught in the Stour.
Roach, dace, bream seem the most tolerant of the brackish water.

Peter,

Please email me re Saturday urgent.

Mark

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Mark, I'm surprised there are no Pike caught in Christchurch harbour to be honest.There are also persistent rumours of some very large carp?

Beecy

Reaction score
whilst on holiday in Cornwall last year I watched roach in a stream that flowed into the sea no more than 20/30 yards away, I think this was at Porth but not sure, their were also trout but I don?t know which kind.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Nigel,

On the Frome and Stour there seems to be a downstream limit for various species; pike are rarely found much below Iford bridge, similarly on the Frome only about 500 yards below Wareham bridge. Whether its the salinity (?) or that they don't like the tidal movement that much. In both cases they are found where the tidal movement is only around 2 feet. I was surprised to catch a perch in Christchurch Harbour last year; didn't expect them so far down. Roach have been netted at the Frome mouth and the run at Mudeford, also bream right down there!

PREDATOR

Reaction score
i,ve fished vastervick were brownie and hayes fished we was boat fishing for pike 11 days and we stopped off one day in the harbour to catch live baits it was weired catching sea fish then course fish without moving the boat
most pike in one day was 28 but biggest only 12.5lbs but lost one lunker
anyone whoever gets the chance to go for god sake go you will have a fantastic time fish coming out ur ears theres wolves moose and i found the fishing tackle cheap lures reels etc you could even visit the town center in you boat to go shopping we moored up and walked straight into mc donalds

stuart clough

Reaction score
Most freshwater species can tolerate salinities of 10-15 parts per thousand if acclimated slowly. Full strength sea water is approx 32 ppt.

Bream are found in numbers in the tidal Thames at Beckton, where the salinity regularly reaches 20+ppt on the flood tide, surrounded by bass flounder and smelt.

These fish live in the outfall from the Beckton sewage treatment works (which is fresh - ish). On the ebb, when freshwater flow in the river is high they can move out.

A precarious existence!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I used to fish for eels in a smallish lake which was an overflow from one of the Birkenhead Docks -- The water there was brackish (you could definitely taste the saltiness, we tried brewing up with it once)--we had eels up to 41/2lbs but we also used to catch perch,- I could understand maybe eels being in there but I always thought it was a bit strange about the perch .....

C

Chris Bishop

<<<you could even visit the town center in you boat to go shopping we moored up and walked straight into mc donalds>>>>>

One or two of my mates would probably think they'd died and gone to Heaven mate..!

coelacanth

Reaction score
Fish tend not to restrict themselves to the narrow categories we try to put them in, with over 28000 described species there's a lot of scope for variation and adaptation. With freshwater fish, increasing the salinity until the surrounding water is more or less isotonic with the body fluids is still a quite commonly used approach where injury or infection has compromised the ability of a fish to osmoregulate, and the reverse process can be used to treat some skin parasites in marine fish. It would be interesting to look at skin parasite loads/profiles on Baltic Cyprinids prior to and following their time in water of higher salinity.
There are single families of fish where the various species cover virtually the full range of salinities and water chemistries that fish are able to live in, from what is virtually acidified distilled water through to water that has a considerably higher concentration of dissolved minerals than seawater.
Basically, fish are cool and there's more species of them than all the Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds and we pathetic Mammals put together.