Making own Groundbait

Boon65

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made there own groundbait and was it successful when they used it, if so what did you use. also what method did you use to make your groundbait and what did you add to your mix. and am i right in thinking that darker groundbaits are better for smaller fish as they feel vunrable out of there cover and predatory fish like pike or perch can't see them , but a lighter coloured groundbait for bigger fish. any advice you be gratefully recieved thanks

ALAN HOLMES 2

Reaction score
my favourite is bread crumb and hemp.
get a lot of bread crump, and mix in the hemp, leave it for a day atleast coz all the hemp juices soak into the bread crumb.
it stinks to high heaven, but i find the carp like it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve,

I would opt for a contrasting colour of groundbait to the bottom of the area where I am fishing. This is especially true if using home-mades as they will not contain as many additives and attractors as continentals.

Hope this helps.

Boon65

Reaction score
thanks Alan and Peter for both you comments, I searched on google last night for the same question on how to make your own groundbait. found a page on there that said, to put the bread in a hot oven but don't let it burn just to dry it out and then you can grind it up either by hand or a blender. any idea what to add for additives or attractors

E

EC

Molasses is worth a look mate, about 4quid for a gallon from an animal feed shop.

Micro pellet, fish meal, vitalin and theres loads of different stuff such as bird seed, vanilla, various meals etc for you to try from here.

The P&P isn't too bad either if you buy a fair bit at once and their service has always been good.

E

EC

Have a look under the groundbait section, some really interesting looking ingredients there mate.

chalky

Reaction score
hi , take the crust off cheap asdas brown bread blend it up , then add sweetcorn, barley ,any kind of bird seed [REMEMBER TO SOAK THE SEED overnight] then crush up halibut pellets i just put them in an old bowl and grind them up with the wifes old rolling pin[the end bit], and there you go .or you can add bovril, scopex, or any thing you like ps that above recepe works well on a method feeder, hope this helps ....chalky [colin].

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Eddie C,
Have you tried Mollacine meal? it's a cattle feed obtainable from various outlets in the farming suppliers world.
Some years ago, 79/80 ish, my pub team used it to good effect on varied types of waters, I bought some a couple of years ago and was disappointed to find the "carrier" of the molasses had been changed from spagnum moss to the coconut fibre now used in potting composts,its a little more difficult to knock up with bread crumb etc, but I have got over the problem by using a binding agent, it's certainly worth a try, and its only around 7/8 quid for 25k.
Although it's good for Bream, canal roach and Gobi's, oh yes and the tench like it, I don't rate it for Carp.

E

EC

Havent tried that yet Keith, I've got a garage and freezer load of stuff which needs to be chucked or used first mate, but might well give it a look next time I am buying!

I got a CC Moores catalogue through the post, they are good value if you are buying a fair bit!

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Eddie, Can you let me have details of C.C.Moores please, never heard of them.
If you do get hold of the molly meal suggest you share between 3/4 of you mates, it will last a month or so if kept in a cool place, but any longer it will develop a winy smell. It works best in water above 65f.
Suggest you experiment with ratios of meal to crumb 50-50 is ok, and with the coir they are using now, liquidised bread will bind up better than brown crumb, and dont put any extra smelly additives in, Ive used it on the Leeds and Liverpool when practicing for a national in the 80's I did catch Tench but we were on good pegs.