Spring Approaches

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Ah - Springtime, my favourite season of the year.

One thing I have noticed is that although Fishing Magic has an enormous readership, few of us are regular fly fishers.

Maybe some of you have thought about giving it a try but for some reason have not. Maybe you think it requires skills that you will never aquire, maybe some of you think it enormously expensive.

The truth is that fly fishing is one of the cheapest forms of angling. The tackle required costs only a fraction what you would require to go carp fishing for example. And in many cases the day tickets are no more than many of the big carp fisheries charge.

There is no need for elaborate baits and groundbaits and no need to struggle along the bank burdened down with masses of gear.

But there is somthing else.

In fly fishing it is not the size of the fish that counts, and the quantity of fish you catch is not that important either. What does matter more than anything is HOW the fish was caught.

Fly fishing is all about the ultimate deception. It's not real food that is on the hook but a concoction of fur, silks, feathers and tinsel that makes the trout think it is something to eat, or attack.

One of the great attractions of fly fishing is also being able to ply with your own skills a conbination of rod, line leader and fly. To make the line sing through the rings. To make that suggestion of life land like thistledown, and to line your fly up with a rising trout on a bright stream.

And then there is the take. The bulge in the water or the living pull on your line as the trout takes that often crude looking mixture of fur and feather. Even today, after 40 years of fly fishing, I still look at what has happened in wonder.

Have you tried it yet?

If you haven't, do so.

You might suddenly realise what you have been missing all these years.