Nearly fell over in the shower this morning....

J

Jeremy Preston

Well, whilst taking a shower this morning listening to BBC Radio2 I heard a very interesting news item regarding a new report from the Environment Agency saying how angling was excellent for the environment, great for the economy and for keeping kids out of trouble. See the details here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4757572.stm

There's one in the eye for the antis!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

This is excellent news Jeremy, very well spotted too.

This comes hard on the heels of the ACAs successes with the banning of Cypermethryn Sheep dip. All this is great for the future of fly fishing in our rivers.

It's about time that people realised that angling is a far better industry than the farming of jumbucks, even though I do like lamb chops!!

B

Bully

What I want to know is how on earth you can hear your radio while in the shower??

Well spotted though!

J

Jeremy Preston

I have one of those little waterproof radios hanging on the back of the shower door...has to be turned-up quite loud when I'm actually taking a shower though :) But if I remember correctly I was actually drying myself at the time of the news....but enough of my morning habits!! It is very good news to get some positive media coverage...I knew angling was a popular pastime but ?3bn a year is astounding.

L

Les Clark

Jeremy ,When you think about it 3bn is not alot ,the average angler will go into their tackle shop for a few bits and bobs and spend ?100 without realising it .

J

Jeremy Preston

I guess so...spending ?100 is far too easy!! It would be interesting to see how this compares with the income generated by other pastimes.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

One can compare this to the USA Jeremy.

The most popular sport there is angling of course. 44 million licences sold per annum. This does not count sea anglers of course.

Second is golf with about 15 million participants

Joskin

Reaction score
There was also a little mention on the BBC radio1 this morning too but it was only very breif and said that "the EA want to introduce more fish into the rivers as its a great money spinner" Those were the exact words the news reader said. There was little or no mention of it being good for the environment, good for the kids etc.

Reaction score
I was reading a similar thread about this story on a different forum and a guy, who I presume works in the media, made a pretty fair comment...

"they report the news, when there's a positive angling story, they report it. when there's a negative one, they report it. it's no more complicated than that."

Perhaps we need whoever is acting as press officer for our sport to do a better job?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

When I saw the title of this thread, I nearly fell over in the shower this morning, I tought it was going to be another Thora Hird advertisement.

It is excellent news Jeremy, and about time anglers were viewed in a different light.

N

Nigel Moors.

Joskin - That's the problem with Radio 1's all to speedy news bulletins. They talk so fast that the news stories themselves get abbreviated to the point where they don't make sense. Especially when the 'news reader' reads so fast, doesn't draw breath and all the differing points are blended into one.

Good news though. Show's the mindset of anglers that we are pleased about these new 'facts' coming to light. We already know about angling benefits, both socially and economically but the message doesn't get put out there enough.

D

david bruce 1

Two questions com eto mind when i heard this.
1) Will this be aimed at improving salmon runs only? As salmon have a good PR with the public in general. Wil this be to the detriment of coarse fish? (not that I am against improving salmon fisheries, on the contrary, as long as coarse ones are not disadvantaged as a result)
2) Is this just the usual PR blurb we get so often from this government. A great story one that makes us all applaud and feel good about them - but it never gets implemented. At a later date a tiny announcement on a specially selected very busy news day down grades the initiative or suspends it indefinatly.
Lets hope I am wrong on both counts.

Waveney One

Reaction score
I suppose that there is a fair bit of PR about it. However, they have said it now and it is up to us to use that to our advantage. The EA has published a booklet and a leaflet with a press release under the heading:-

A better environment, healthier fisheries - our strategy

with the following words:-

If you've got good places to fish in your area, you can get a whole host of benefits:

* It's good for the economy, as anglers spend a massive ?3 billion on their sport each year
* It's good for your health, with a survey showing angling gives the greatest boost to self-esteem and well-being
* It's good for young people, as a proven and cost-effective way of tackling anti-social behaviour, educational under-achievement and youth-crime
* It's good for the environment, with people telling us that seeing fish is one of the best indicators of a clean water environment.
* It's good for tourism, especially in rural areas, by creating jobs and prosperity, extending visitor seasons, and providing good business for restaurants, pubs, shops, hotels, angling clubs and other businesses.

If you'd like to see these benefits in your community, download our strategy and find out how we're going to get this working.

See for yourselves on
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/569882/1307328/?version=1&lang=_e

I have sent an e-mail to the EA saying that these booklets should be sent to all schools with a supply of leaflets to all children.

Let's put pressure on them to keep to what they say and make fishing the truly great sport for all.

ALAN HOLMES 2

Reaction score
well the EA will have to put a good word in for the angler, coz after all, we are there bread and butter, and without us who's going to fund them?

M

mark norris 2

I also heard this news item.I was so gobsmacked I actually spoke to the wife before 9a.m.

Waveney One

Reaction score
Nothing in the local paper so I have written to them, pointing it out and asking why nothing was printed. They managed an anti fox hunting letter today.