And The lord said"Build A Boat And Bring Forth The Animals 2x2"

R

Rodney Wrestt

What is your prefered type of waterproofing for brolly's, Brottell's or Bivvy's, I've been using Fabsil to spray on mine but have heard of people using something else which is painted on with a brush. Does it do exactly what it says on the tin? :-}~

C

Chris Bishop

Fabsil doesn't seem to last very long and it's quite expensive. You can get similar stuff in camping shops - it's a sort of silicone wax.

D

David OLoughlin

I read a few years ago that the stuff you paint on bricks to waterproof them was the stuff to use. It took a couple of days to dry. I bought some back then for my old brolly but have yet to use it cos I forgot. I've got a new Brotel now but would be scared to use it unless anyone else has found it OK.

R

Rodney Wrestt

David,
Snap, I've just got a Brotel and was thinking the same thing, only I don't remember what the other stuff in the tin is called and I wouldn't want to experiment on the Brotel. I was hoping someone else might have tried it or any other proofing solution.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Chris,
Is the silicone wax you mentioned is an aerosol spray or is it applied using a cloth or something like that?

D

David OLoughlin

I read about it in Coarse Fisherman (I think) & it could be Thompson waterseal but I can't be bothered at this time going in the shed. Tell you what should I chance it & blame it on Bennetts if all goes wrong?

R

Rodney Wrestt

David
L.O.L, Yep I'll back you up. I'm sure they would sort it out in no time<grin> ;-}~

C

Carp Angler

You can get Fabsil in aerosol or brush on form.
Thompsons Waterseal (or similar) works better, but, as David said, it takes a few days to dry.
Don't put the brolly away whilst it is still wet or it will stick together.

D

David OLoughlin

We are not worthy, we are not worthy!
Thank you for honouring us mere humble one's with your prescence O great Carp & Barbel Angler.
Now you have spoken all will be right with the Brotel & the world! :)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Thanks, I'd found Fabsil to be absorbed into the material rather than place a coating on top and the effect was minimal, ok for showers but in downpours the drips came through. With the Thompsons Waterseal does the texture of the material change or is it still soft? The reason I ask is I've seen shelters with white lines that look like the proofing has cracked or is peeling and wonder if this is what had been used on them.

C

Carp Angler

Some people go back over the seams with superglue or Bondage and if this gets damp before curing it will produce a white residue.
Thompsons will also produce a residue if it is put away before being fully dry.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I read the review of the Brotel by Keith Whitehouse in the Reviews archive on the FM home page before I got mine, in the review he found the Brotel leaked on his first wet outing and used a proofing spray. I have not yet used my Brotel but was in the habit of proofing my brolly with the spray, I also read Graham's review of the Brotel but he didn't say it was required, I think it may be down to habit with me but I was looking for a more durable replacement for the usual Fabsil and it looks like Thompsons Waterseal is the preferred choice, the only worrying aspect is leaving the Brotel set up as my cat & dog will probably leave it with an extra coating of hair and my son has a very inquisitive mind (if I say don't touch he enquires why whilst reaching out and prodding, I can see it now, all hair on the bottom third and water dripping through the fingerprint marks). ;-}~

C

Carp Angler

Can't you hang it up in the roofspace of the garage?
The Brotel doesn't exactly take up enormous amounts of space.
If kept indoors it should only take 2 days to dry.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Thanks Rik, I'm sure I'll get by, even if I have to lock the pets & son in the garage. Have you used superglue on the seams before. I would have thought it was too strong to use on the nylon.

C

Carp Angler

Nashy's Oval seams are sealed with Superglue from the factory.

Ask Phil Inzani about the temporary repair to his Hutchy oval in France last December.

It cured the Chinese water torture for him.

C

Carp Angler

Sorry I should have said, blob it on and then smear it with your finger to create a thin film.
Alternatively for seams only, try Aquasure wader repair.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ahhh, now that you mention it I've read about using the wader repair kits for shelters somewhere.

I guess everyone was out this weekend as the I've not seen the forum as quiet as this before. In the coarse, general and carp sections there haven't been many posts this weekend at all.
Hope everyone had a good one. ;-}~

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Following several months heavy use I did find that the Deluxe Brotel needed waterproofing (not the Bedchair Brotel which is made from a coated material) and used Thomson's Waterseal on it. And I've given it another coat since. It does a good job and lasts for about 12 months before it needs doing again. It stinks for a couple of days while it dries and it makes the material go darker. Other than that it has no detrimental effect.

D

David OLoughlin

Rodney, no problem with hairs. Get enough stuck & you could have a thatch - your very own place in the country.
Thanks for asking the question & others for the replies as I now feel confident to use the Thomsons.