Gas and Electric.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
At present my household is using ?5 of electric per day on a pre-payment meter, my house is fully double glazed and has warm air central heating. It is a three bed semi, with loft conversion, two adults, three children.

The house is well insulated, although I don't have cavity wall insulation. Nothing is left on stand-bye overnight and most of the lights are energy saving bulbs.

We get an annual statement, last years was ?1200. Based on ?5 per day it will be ?1825 this year. Prices are due to rise again tomorrow.

British Gas tells me the meter is not faulty, can I challenge their decision? Could it be running to fast?

Any advice or tips would be very, very appreciated.

I didn't want to butt in on your thread Adrian, I have been thinking about solar panels as well.

Thanks Guys.

E

EC

Steve, I pay monthly mate, ?29 for electric and ?29 for gas,(?58 in total) I am with Southern Electric!

Previously I was being stung for roughly ?50 a month on each, I think that was with scottish power!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Steve,

For 20 years of my life I had solar panels. There were connected into the water heating system. In summer they used to partly run my air conditioning system.

I don't think the government like them in this country. It prevents money getting to the vested interests and thus into Blair's pocket.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I'm about on par with Eddie with Southern Electric.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

I'm paying ?150 per month in advance (as it's a key meter) just for electric, gas is about ?40 per month.
We are with British gas for both.
I'm gonna have to look at a new supplier, I think.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
British gas are currently the highest tarrif of the lot and whoever you swap to its going to be cheaper. I changed to Scottishpower because they were on a par with Southern but maybe things have changed again since then. I havn't looked into it but someone who has, told me that Powergen are pretty near the top now.

Its no hassle at all to change Steve no interruption or anything and my advice is to change as soon as possible. If you do it all online and by direct debit it works out cheaper than doing it the conventional way, all the best deals are online much the same as banking is now.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's only a three bed semi mate.

I reckon the meter is duff, but how can I prove it?

I reckon they owe me big time, but like I say, how can I prove it?

E

EC

You can query it Steve, tell them you are changing supplier unless it is checked, then after its checked you can change anyway, they'll be out like a shot mate!

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Steve

It might be worth having a look at the Ofgem site, might tell you how to get bills/meters checked

E

EC

Phone them now before the anger goes away, and dont forget to tell them that you own a gun and that they will never, ever take you alive!

njb51

Reaction score
Tell em you know Eddie too! and that he knows people, who know of Ron.

That'l get their arses in gear!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Npower just came out on top.
?500 cheaper, dual fuel, D/D.

Right I'm off, I've got some ammo now!!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Eddie, I'm with Scottish Power and I pay monthly by D.D. ?28 for gas and ?16 for electricity a combined total of ?44 monthly, nothing like the ?100 you were paying. I live in a detached 3 bedroom bungalow without cavity insulation.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I changed to British Gas and have just had my first bills for the quarter
Gas ?141.87
Electric ?84.72
I have never had such high bills as with British Gas
I live in a 3 bedroom middle terrace house on my own -gas central heating gas cooker and fires --Electric lights television and thats all......

I looked on line at a site called uSwitch.com
and they work out the cheapest supplier for you
Their recommended one for me was PowerGen/Age Concern-- according to their calculations they will save me close to ?250 a year

I changed to them last week and today received 3 free energy saver light bulbs , 3 free carbon monoxide detectors with my contract details .....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Have you got insulation in your roof Graham.

Something like 40% of the heat in you house escapes through the roof. And in summer your house is a lot cooler.