But if Salmon

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The law of supply and demand will kick in and salmon fishing will become cheap again.

I think I can imagine some of the carbelling/carping fraternity being a bit peeved with the salmon's incredible fighting ability. After a few fish have run off 300 yards of line from the big pit reels and made off with the fancy rod, all this done whilst they are sleeping of course, the new breed of salmon angler is going to demand a strain of fish that doesn't fight so hard. After all, it's likely that after they have awoken, removed themselves from the sleeping bag and put on their bivvy slippers, the salmon plus tackle will be down at Gainsborough.

Can't have that. Keeping awake to hook fish is just not cricket chaps.

Not only that the immense power of salmon will mean that the angler has to stay sober.

Oh dear, whatever next?

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Ron

Looks like you and I are in a minority of two in thinking salmon are on the way back.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I like Salmon fishing and hope they run in every river in the land, as they used to, before pollution and the river engineers got to them. That way every Angler will be able to catch them and experience the thrill of catching ' the King of Fishes' at a reasonable cost. If you think Barbel or Carp fight hard (which they do!) be prepared to be devastated.

J

jason fisher

i hope crayfish plague mutates into a salmon specific fungus that kill everyone of the bluddi things. before its too late and fishing in this country is ruined forever.

save the eel and stop wasting all that money on salmon.

at least we've already started on a squadron of specially trained cormorants. armed to catch only salmon, they will be sitting on the enbankment of the humber and patrolling 24 hours per day in order to keep this unwanted intrloper out.

B

BLAM

I remember a great passage in Trevor Housby's wonderful book "Big Fish" where he tells the story of a 30lb Salmon caught (unintentionally) on a newly purchased chub/leger rod.
It apparently took him all evening to get it in and what I wouldn't give to follow in his footsteps.

K

keith reid

Wait on....just imagine what you could charge for a day's fishing on , say the Thames if there was a good run of salmon...! How many current coarse angling clubs would lose their leases to salmon syndicates ? Note the current thread on the ribble , with a game club ousting the sitting WAA club because they can offer more money ...imagine if salmon were prolific! Barbel and chub anglers would be 3rd class citizens, lucky to get a day's fishing out of (the game) season.( trout anglers would be 2nd class....)
Salmon would have to be common as carp for fishing to be available cheaply to all.I don't see that happening.
OK they do fight well and longer than barbel, but they are over rated, I land salmon when grayling fishing every year on 2.5 lb hook links.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
If salmon were common in every river there would be no opportunity for overcharging; it is only the scarcity of these fish that gives the unscrupulous the chance to make obscene profit. At one time in the Tudor times Salmon were so prolific in the rivers they sold for less than Pike - imagine that!

C

Chris Bishop

Can't see it happening, I think climate change and other river-related issues are going to greatly reduce the number of rivers where salmon are viable over the next couple of decades.

They'd be better off concentrating investment and protection on the rivers where they stand a chance.

I can't see the point in all the investment they've made on the Thames over the years.

A tenth of the money would have gone much further on some of the Westcountry rivers like the Exe, Teign or Barle.

B

Big Swordsy... Satans little helper:O)

Ah but the Thames is liquid history....Who has ever heard of the Barle?

Not saying its right, far from it actually but that is the way the EA measures its success.

In my opinion

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Salmon on 2.5 hooklinks Keith!!

Parr or kelts?

K

keith reid

fishing gimp.....yeah maybe, but they would have to be prolific everywhere.Remember, game anglers often pay for "exclusivety".....ie they will pay top dollar but they want the stretch to themselves , or their party only.

Ron....parr, kelts and fresh fish. I don't claim to have landed a "20" on such gear , but several in the 5 - 9 lb class.

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Barsalmoning is here already.
Bright pink fishmeal pop-ups have accounted for a few from the Teme and Severn in recent years. Thankfully the hair rig doesn't work too well on salmon and most get off. Also the way the fish fights scares the life out of your average barbeller.