bird flu

MJ.

Reaction score
I heard that the lakes around Lyon in France are closed for 10 days from last sunday no one allowed near the lakes,will we get going to france at all this year,can anyone shed light on this please.

C

Cakey

its looking dodgy.........................does anyone want to go

B

Big Rik

yeah I want to go.

Is any of this substantiated or is it just conjecture and hearsay?

F

Frothey

cant see the french letting a bit of flu getting between them and their hunting and fishing!

seeing the things they are doing....hows disinfecting car tyres going to stop the spread of it? what about the rest of the car? and its spread by birds anyway!

foot and mouth all over again.....

Gareth Watkins

Reaction score
I live in Lyon, so was looking at the local news last night..The area to the east and north east of Lyon, has loads of marsh and lake lands... natural spots for migrating birds... it is also one of the largest chicken producing areas of the country 'Poulet de Bresse' is well known here. Hence the precautions, that are for all these public lakes, to protect the millions of chickens.

In most other countries that have been affected, Turkey etc the outbreaks have been pretty localised.
There was a vet on French TV last night who didn't seem to think that this would spread widely in France as the infected birds die very quickly often before they can infect others...

Most carp venues are not on chicken farms either and are private. At the moment they are just telling everyone to confine their poultry inside their coops. The large farms, zoos etc are vaccinating their birds.

It's unlikely they would close down the whole country, unless this things gets widespread, which hasn't happened in other countries with far worse sanitary rules than France.

I think this is one of those media hyped things...

As to a risk to us anglers, well I personally think Weils disease, tetanous, drowning, and Limes disease are far more of a threat...

cheers
Gareth

L

little Stu!

Excellent information Gareth, very informative and please keep us posted.

If it's any consilation to the group of anglers I am traveling with in June, then we have absolutely nothing to worry about, however I have told Roto theres been a total lock down in france until end of June!

B

Bully

Should have used it on WoL as well......

I gather that one of the ways it got transferred to humans in Thailand was through bird fac fea fec shit. As such it may be worth while steering clear of all the duck and geese crap.

L

little Stu!

'yawn bully yawn'

try working with him.....................

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

i'd rather poke hot needles into my eyeballs whilst listening to roto's yarns about bait

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Just to echo the thoughts of others above - thank you very much Gareth!