Peter Osgood(RIP)

J

john ledger

It saddened me to hear the death of Ossie at such an early age. Ossie as anyone who saw him was more than just a great footballer he was a character at a time when English football was at its best. Chelsea had a terrific entertaining side with Charlie Cook Ian Hutchinson Alan Hudson etc England had other great entertainers in Tony Currie Frank Worthington Stan Bowles in fact every side had one.
Always remember seeing the Chelsea side that Tommy Docherty managed with my late father at Bramall Lane. The side included Bobby Tambling Barry Bridges Terry Venables jimmy Greaves,they beat us 3-0 and where a joy to watch,no prima donnas just good footballers. Reckon Ossie was the best of the lot

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I agree with every word John.
R.I.P. Ossie.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A cracking footballer in his day and still as enthusiastic about soccer as ever according to those that knew him. The clip they showed after the match last night showed him as looking as fit as a butchers dog, you never know from one minute to the next do you?

J

john ledger

Listening to Steve Curry on the radio today he mentioned how old footballers have to do the after dinner circuit where they are expected to eat and drink all the time. Wonder if this contributed and how sad people like the overpaid prima donnas of today will never have to work again when they leave football

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Very sad, a true Chelsea legend, I'm gutted, and I only saw him when I was a kid.
The younger guys at work didn't even know who he was, and there were not many better than him in his era apart from Bestie.

J

john ledger

You are not wrong Bill,he was a character and we dont have them these days just money grabbing so called superstars who could not lace his boots

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Peter Osgood RIP. A great centre forward in a great chelsea team. I was lucky enough to see him quite a few times at hillsborough and he was one of the few players who could coax me into bramall lane. The guy played with a smile on his face but with a flair for goal and was a joy to watch as was all the chelsea players of that magic era.

D

Deecy ACA

As a lifelong Chelsea fan I am sorry to hear of this.I remember standing in the Shed as a boy hearing "Osgood is good".My first replica shirt bore 9 on the back.My brother has a photo of him and his family with Peter, by all accounts he was one of the good guys.Osgood and John Snow fast bowler influenced my lifelong love of sport.Osgood scored in every round of the FA Cup one magical year, played like he enjoyed the game too , more than can be said for the current pair of ******* who play up front at present for the Blues.