Dolly Mixtures.............

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Wandering around Morrisons last week looking for something different to try as a bait and I came across Dolly Mixtures at 39p a bag.....

Went out this morning for a few hours and as it was quiet on the normal baits I baited up with two of the little yellow jobbies on a hair(the colour eventually disappears!)and in 15 mins hooked and landed a 17.5lb mirror carp in very nice condition.Despite trying for several hours using the other various coloured shapes I failed to get another bite.......(maybe a better summer bait??)

The smell is quite strong-something similar to vanilla-and they are very sweet-I tried one-so they seem to have a lot to offer as a bait.....

Definitely not new as a bait but worth a try if all else fails..........................

Out of interest I checked the water temperature and found a rise of 6 degrees F since last Wednesday-same spot and same depth......(now 54 degrees!)

quickcedo

Reaction score
Not tried "Dolly mixtures" but I have had them on fruit pastilles and believe it or not, liquorice allsorts.
Had Barbel on the fruit pastilles too.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes,the list is endless............also bought a bag of marshmallows which smell just great-just as well I don't have a sweet tooth!!

(nice as a floater and not too expensive)

sagalout

Reaction score
Jelly tots and opal fruits have been recommended somewhere, I ain't tried 'em because if it is sweet I has already eated before getting to the water.

mol

Reaction score
Yes,the list is endless............also bought a bag of marshmallows which smell just great-just as well I don't have a sweet tooth!!

(nice as a floater and not too expensive)

I went on a boat trip to spot alligators on the bayous in New Orleans. They fed them with marshmallows because they float and aren't expensive

quickcedo

Reaction score
Carp really are amazing they'll eat just about anything they can get in there gob. Yet on another day nothing will temp them. Best buy another expesive bag of bait that has "Carp" on it just in case.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes,my expensive bag purchased today had 'Red Robin' on the side ,whatever that means.............

39p for Dolly Mixtures indeed-what a Cheap-skate!!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fish just seem to love something sweet, and Carp more than most it seems. Had them on hair rig hard gums, lets not forget, they also like the curry as well

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
Fish just seem to love something sweet, and Carp more than most it seems. Had them on hair rig hard gums, lets not forget, they also like the curry as well

;) I glad you mentioned curry, Ray, something I always used to use to flavour maggots was curry powder & you've just reminded myself to put some on this weekends shopping list.

Cheers,
William.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Curry, Chilli, my favourite Arrowmat, 5 spice, bun spice, Fajitas mix, garlic, clove, etc etc etc etc.
Sorry got too bored to name all the spices and herbs I've tried and suceeded with. With every one I thought I'd discovered the next wonder bait. The fact remains there is no such thing and thankfully never will be. There are baits that work better than others but nothing is guaranteed. The only common denominator in good catch rate is good fishing and long may it be so.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Whatever happened to just plain bread or par boiled potatoes dipped in honey....or even a nice fat lob??

I think I'll start the Natural Baits Society.....or has that been done already-probably!!

Mark-absolutely agree!
Take the other week when I had a reasonable fish on a piece of banana.........thought I'd found the one bait not used on my lake and the fish would be lining up but despite hours of trying I've never had so much as a knock since!
Just makes me try harder...................................................(maybe I used 'fairtrade' bananas first time!)

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
The question is what are natural baits.And whether they can be used on the hook. Worms, slugs, berries, grasshoppers ,crayfish,wasp grubs and freshwater mussels can be used to some degree on a hook and I know Mr Crabtree used to use silk weed for roach . What about the others, Maggots bread and corn can't really be classed as naturals can they.Or would it be The Untweaked Baits Society, TUBS for short

quickcedo

Reaction score
Bread is not natural as we make it, albeit from natural ingredients. Sweetcorn we process. Even Tee Cee's par boiled potato has to be, well par boiled. Or are we saying that a boilie is natural as it's made from natural ingredients?
To me a natural is something which is used as is, no cooking, no flavouring, no mixing.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
IMG_7261.JPG

IMG_7317.JPG

IMG_7321.JPG

This last one did not get any takes looking back at the session I beleive the carp could not get the wrapper off LOL.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Pic 3 reminds me of the playground joke of my infancy:
"Why don't elephants like penguins?"
"'Cos they can't get the silver foil off!"

Oh, burger, just scrolled down far enought o read your last line!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Ian - what's the top picture here? Is it sea-food sticks?

I have the same problem as previously described... if i had a bag of skittles with me fishing then I wouldn't waste em on the fish :)

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Ian - what's the top picture here? Is it sea-food sticks?

I have the same problem as previously described... if i had a bag of skittles with me fishing then I wouldn't waste em on the fish :)
Hi Jim its strawberry laces with sweet sugar infill

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

I think it is because the hair is to short
What has being bald got to do with whether you catch or not ? lol