Cold weather boots...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes,I know we are heading for spring but does anyone have an opinion on the following boots

1. Diawa/Sundridge Hot Foot Fisher Boots at around £30

2. Ditto the above but with Calf Grip at around £40

3. Boots for cold weather produced by Mapp at around £34

This is more to get a good price now for next winters fishing!

Any advice appreciated

ps Tried Muck boots but they seemed very heavy.....??

sagalout

Reaction score
I have the hot foots. For the money they are good (based on my immense experience of fishing boots, these are the only pair I have ever bought). Last well (had mine two years). Pull your socks down when walking but I now tuck me trousers in me socks and that fixed it. Do tend to get wet with sweat.

For £30 top value for money.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Skee tex , the green suede and rubber ones, nice seperate furry liners which do not get wet with sweat like other liners.

around £50, mine have lasted 3 winters now and are still fine.........

A

alan whittington

All not comfortable enough in my view,i use Clarke's leather,gortex lined boots and wear sealskin waterproof socks,over your normal pair,jobs a goodun,and they last yonks,which makes the price bearable.

bigchub

Reaction score
+1 for the Sundridge Hotfoot. Ben using mine since the start of the winter and they are very good. Feet never got cold and are comfortable to walk long distances in.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Alan...........are you saying Clarke's are a type of walking boot?I will google the name as I've not heard of it in fishing terms..

A

alan whittington

They are Tee-Cee,im sorry i cant remember of the top of my head,they do a few different boots and shoes,the ones i have are black leather(very supple),the only thing that could be better is the sole,not enough grip in my view,but i hardly know ive got mine on,i'll have a look online and see if i can tell you which ones i have,failing that,a womble down the shops can see the range.
Hi tee-Cee,'Rockie hi' in black or ebony(black for me as i say),on sale at present £74.99,go and try a pair on,they were dearer when i bought mine,thing is i'd be surprised if they dont last at least ten years.

Last edited:

stuartpengs

Reaction score
Muck Boots look no further they are a Godsend and perform superbly a bit dear I know but are superb and will last for years

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I dont rate the derwents for cold weather use (and I disagree with their "wicking" findings - mine dont wick in 5C) but that said they are waterproof (obviously) wonderfully comfortable (like fishing in your slippers), decent grip and easy to get on and off. Overall good, but not great.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Its amazing the difference in how people view the same product-take Muckboots;some say the best thing since slice bread and others,as with Jimmy above,not'great' and Alan Roe who swears by them!
I tried some and for me they just seemed very heavy but I accept I have been used to lighter footwear that hasn't worked in the warmth department.....hence this post!

Alan Whittington...because I do a great deal of walking(when I use depending on the severity of the walk)Meindl or a heavier Brasher I have also used them for fishing but with lightweight socks which don't keep the feet warm enough.
In fact my wife has just bought me(for my birthday)some extreme weather socks made by Bridgestone that are recommended for mountain climbing and are(apparently)as good as they get........and at £15 approx a pair I hope they work.I do however appreciate that because the walking boots are not as heavy/thick as pukka fishing boots they may never generate the same warmth-plus the fact that fishermen sit still and mountain climbers do the opposite!!
I will see how they fare..........................

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Walking boots for me, teecee. I've had enough rubber/plastic boots to know that they're nice and warm at the beginning of the day but later on, if nyou've done any walking, feel cold and uncomfortable. Your feet are damp and sweaty when you take them off.

I think you may have worked out what's best yourself; some technical socks are a massive improvement over wool, and ideally you need a half-size space in the boot to keep them snug but not tight. I wore my walking boots all day on Boxing Day in the ice and snow and spent a lot of time sitting still. My feet stayed warm as toast.

If you wear leather walking boots, a regular spray with waterproofing is well worthwhile (when they're bone dry).

oldnick

Reaction score
A pair of Rigger boots off Ebay around £15 and a pair of thermal socks £3, jobs a good 'un. Boots are fur lined, oil, water and chemical proof with a good deep tread for grip. Just a regular clean/polish keeps them looking good. Easy to get on and off, trousers in or waterproofs over. I went out in all the recent cold weather and never once did my feet get cold or wet. I wear 'em all year round and even in the summer, my feet are never too hot. I really can't fault them.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
When I had any feeling in my feet a good pair of leather walking boots (Hi Tech) and thermal socks did the trick, although any boot that is not aimed at 'angling' is probably better than most 'fishing footwear'

Now I could have my bare feet in a bucket of crushed ice for 8 hours and I wouldn't feel anything.

"These boots are made for walking", unless they are anglers thermal boots ;)

A

alan whittington

Its amazing the difference in how people view the same product-take Muckboots;some say the best thing since slice bread and others,as with Jimmy above,not'great' and Alan Roe who swears by them!
I tried some and for me they just seemed very heavy but I accept I have been used to lighter footwear that hasn't worked in the warmth department.....hence this post!

Alan Whittington...because I do a great deal of walking(when I use depending on the severity of the walk)Meindl or a heavier Brasher I have also used them for fishing but with lightweight socks which don't keep the feet warm enough.
In fact my wife has just bought me(for my birthday)some extreme weather socks made by Bridgestone that are recommended for mountain climbing and are(apparently)as good as they get........and at £15 approx a pair I hope they work.I do however appreciate that because the walking boots are not as heavy/thick as pukka fishing boots they may never generate the same warmth-plus the fact that fishermen sit still and mountain climbers do the opposite!!
I will see how they fare..........................
The sealskins are dearer i believe mate,but i dont think cost is paramount,quality is however and yours are good,i said Clarke's,i should have said 'Clark's' the high street retailer.:w