New Airflo Ridge lines - any good or just anothe gimic?

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I've been looking at the new Airflo Ridge lines that have just appeared in the shops.

has anyone tried one? If so, what are your opinions? Does it really improve your distance, or is it yet another gimic?

U

ukfirefighter

Ive read the reviews in this months Fly fisherman the results seem ok. the idea of Airflo's 40+ sounds good but in practice you still need a rod capable of casting it, dont tell you that on the box!! but thats another story. worth reading reviews they are a good read.
Mark

S

Shrek

I've had a look at one in my LTS and it seems quite good. Not a lot of memory when you uncoil it, which for an Airflo line is quite good. You can't really feel the ridges when it's dry, but when wet the ridges on the head are noticeable.

Shop owner had cast one in anger and got on quite well with it.

Also, Trout Fisherman (Airflo's best friend) gave it good reviews.

Jury's still out though as I haven't had a cast with one and until I'm given one, or borrow one, I won't give a final verdict.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
The first thing that strikes me about them is that if a line is covered in ridges surely they'll hold dirt and grit a lot easier, whereas a flat surfaced standard floating line is very easy to clean?

Still not used one yet but would be keen to try one out of interest. Wouldn't buy to try though. Not totall convinced.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The problem with the 40 plus line is that for much bank fishing the head is a tad too long. Shooting heads should not be longer than 10 or 11 yards at the most, otherwise your backcast can end up in overhanging trees, bushes and dam walls. It's fine for boat fishing of course.

I haven't tried the LTS yet so it's not possible for me to comment.

S

Shrek

Ron, don't know if I confused you but LTS is short for Local Tackle Shop, it's not the name of the line.

R

I'm getting old Adrian - Ridge Lines!

R

It is important when casting distance to have the correct amount of line out beyond the rod tip before you complete the final shoot.

Too little and you will not make the rod work properly, too much and the rod is overloaded.

averageangler

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been reading a lot in preparation for starting fly fishing. This reading included the review for the new ridge line.

One question kept running through my mind. "If the ridges hold extra water to lubricate the line through the rings wouldn't this possibly affect the weight rating of the line?"

Would this affect casting or are we talking about barely discernable ridges and very little water/additional weight?

Cheers.