Peterborough - decent day ticket venues?

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Evening all. Work takes me to Peterborough, gateway to the east on saturday. There is space on the van for fishing accoutrements so I fancy an afternoon with a waggler rod. A brief look on google has found bluebell lakes, which seems a overerly carpy for me and the small lake (woodford ?) only has 20 pegs but by the time I get there at about lunchtime I might not find two pegs free.

Decoy might be worth a go, although really its right on the edge of the distance I want to travel. Also am I likely to turn up and find them all mayched up ?

Any ideas on the above two or any other venues worth a look would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
lakes around pboro

whats the furthest away from pboro you want to travel? there is lake ross at spalding (bout 20 miles), sinclairs shooting ground @holbeach st johns (about the same distance). Partridge lakes @whaplode drove (15 miles), north view lakes at gedney hill (15 miles) and tydd st giles golf course (around 15 miles). All are fair mixed fisheries that should offer you a few bites on the waggler and all are around £5 per day. hope this helps!

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Thank ye sir. I shall look into them further. Are they googleable (is that a word ? it should be) I'm just off the A1 just north of peterborough.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
We're absolutely surrounded by gravel pits here but bit's the same old story; all syndicate waters now. Time was when we had our pick. It's a real shame, especially as I see so few syndicate members actually fishing.

If you want a big gravel pit challenge, try Tallington Lakes near Deeping. £7.50 a day. But they are watersports lakes so they are not best fished at weekends. No night fishing, either, but these have the advantage that they're not carp lakes; bream and good tench are the main target, but there are some silvers, too.

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

If you PM me, I can put you on to some interesting 'free' fishing venues off the beaten track ;)

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Many thanks both of you. Looks like work is about 200m from the river nene (sods law) but according to google maps its also close to what looks like some gravel pits or a fishery of some sort just off the A47 right next to the jct with the A1.

Anyone know owt ?

Reaction score
could be ferry meadows but Im pretty sure that if it is it falls under the closed season. would have thought decoy would be fully booked with matches. tight lines for wherever you go though!

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Well I went to Kingslake (Coates) in the event. Got some bait from wade & sons (better maggots than we get round our way - really top notch) so off I went. After lovely weather all week the only pegs available on the silver lake were RIGHT into the teeth of stiff, easterly fenland "breeze". I caught a few bits and two nice tench one about 3lb + and the second a little smaller. But at that point after a fairly whimpish 3 hours I was shaking with cold (and forget about keeping a float still, even with laying a foot over depth) i packed up. Would go again though.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Many thanks both of you. Looks like work is about 200m from the river nene (sods law) but according to google maps its also close to what looks like some gravel pits or a fishery of some sort just off the A47 right next to the jct with the A1.

Anyone know owt ?

Sibson Fisheries, I think, Jimmy. Not sure what the status of the place is these days - I've a feeling it's all syndicate. You still in the area working or not? If you are, I can show you something interesting....

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Alas no, just a one day thing unfortunately - even more unfortunate when I look at the weather today. Might end up down that way in the summer, maybe a bit further north but I'm not sure at the moment. Will certainly let you know though.