GOA to Exeter Canal

Jeff Sparkes

Reaction score
Just returned this week from holiday and brought back an unwelcome souvenir in the shape of "Delhi Belly". We stayed at the Santiago Hotel between Caligute and Bagga and I can strongly recommend the establishment (probably not responsible for stomach bug before the jokes start).
Went touring everyday visiting waterfalls, spice plantations and various remote beaches that were staggeringly beautiful. Yes, I saw beggars and stray dogs and the odd scattering of street garbage, bit like Nottingham really but with sun!
The fishng potential is vast and I saw loads of different species in the rivers and surf especially in the quieter areas of Ashwim and Mandrem beaches where we spotted numbers of dolphins chasing their prey. As tourism is GOA's primary industry I wouldn't put anyone off going there and contributing to their economy.
In contrast having arrived back home to freezing England I collected the pooch from kennels and headed for the Exeter Canal to give her a run. On Wednesday evening the water was partly frozen and snow was settling on top of the ice. On Friday evening the picture was much different, gone was the snow and ice and a 'much warmer' 5 degrees air temperature.
As dusk began turning to darkness I spotted some movement in the margins a few feet from where I was standing. On closer inspection, I witnessed a shoal of large bream rolling around on the surface. I stayed and observed their movements for a good ten minutes. Is this unusual because in over 40 years of fishing I have never seen anything remotely like this before in such conditions, have you?