Owner trebles

B

Bob Watson

I recently bought some Owner trebles, red and black ST-36 patterns. I was tying up some traces today and noticed that they seem to be a single with two singles brazed on, if that maks sense. I've been using Drennan amongst others and they are, invariably, a double with a single brazed on. I've always mounted my bait on the brazed on single, so it effectively leaves one double hook of one piece to do the business. This is just a "thing" that I habitually do as it gives me a bit more peace of mind knowing that a braze is not going to fail under pressure. I'm still going to use these hooks as they come highly recommended, does anyone use them? Have any comments about them?

L

Les Clark

Bob ,I use Drennan semi barbed ,the barb being the hook to stick into the bait ,never had any trouble .

B

Bob Watson

That's what I've been using Les albeit fully barbed. You'll find the barbed hook is the brazed on one. Just thought I'd try the owner, a bit finer in the wire whilst keeping the strength.

L

Les Clark

Worth a go mate ,let us know how you get on with them .

Tom Herbert

Reaction score
I always use Partridge Double's rather than trebles as i find them so much easier to unhook

S

sash

Just seen this Bob so apologies for the late reply. ST36 in red and black (sizes 8 and 6) are superb mate. I use them for most of my lighter pike and all zander work. I do go up to the ST41's when I need a stronger / larger hook though (6 - 2) as they are a wire gauge heavier and have some incredibly sharp cutting points.

Best tip I can give you is if you know anyone nice in the USA, get them to post you a present of trebles, they are MUCH cheaper over there.

B

Bob Watson

Cheers Sash, just what I was looking for, a vote of confidence. Exactly what I bought, 6&8's in red and black. The St-41's look as strong as anchors. I'm toying with the idea of swapping over to braid for my piking, if I do they'll find a place in my box.

You're right Sash, not cheep, I recently spent 20 odd quid in a shop for the black and nigh on forty quid online for the reds. I know a bloke that knows a bloke in the US, outlook express is calling.

C

Chris Bishop

If they're what one of my mates brought back with him from America, they're the dogs.

B

Bob Watson

I've just asked Trevor if he can me some Chris, no joy!!

Chris Elwis999

Reaction score
Give the partridge doubles a go, strong reliable easier to unhook than a treble, ever since I started using them three or four seasons ago I find that I use trebles less and less, and now with those pva cable ties you can lightly nick baits like mackeral and the pva soluties hold the doubles proud form the bait so the trace easily pulls from the tough skinned bait and finds a firm hookhold in the pikes mouth.

J

jon helyer

ST-41's, superb! I use the 6's, and the Partridge VB's in 6....