hook link

chalky

Reaction score
aghhhh im pretty new to carp fishing , HELP . my hook link should it be mono flurocarben or braid and if it is braid whick kind will i buy [and a rough price please] thanks and tight lines colin.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Depends how you're fishing i.e pop up, bottom bait or maybe neutrally balanced?

Over gravel, weed or silt?

What's the water colour like?

What rig are you thinking of using?

Personally I have a selection of lines for hooklinks, monos, flouro and braids and keep a selection made up so when I reach the bank I can decide what's best.

chalky

Reaction score
thanks lads, ive tried the snowman , the helicopter rig leger rig pop ups although i think ive had them to far off the bottom, water conditions are good and clear [on one loch] the other is a bit dirty that one is about 40 foot deep in fact both of them are round about that depth ,also got tench / roach/ pike/perch. also done a lot of baiting up with barley /bird seed corn/ boilies / halibut pellets, i have no trouble pike/ or trout fishing but carp aghhhh its driving me nuts lol HELP. [BUT IM not GIVING UP....COLIN.

B

Bully

Loch?? Where are you fishing? If you are doing the above (ie lots of baiting up etc) I might question overall tactics first, before getting hung up about rigs.

Tell us more.

chalky

Reaction score
LOL yes youve got it im scottish, kinghorn loch in fife and a loch called the brickie near forth road bridge.[fife side] and also a little loch lol more like a puddle but its full of tench and carp it used to be a big reserviour but it was drained [its only about 1 acre] i joined the scottish carp group but due to bad health my membership ran out but i am going to re join .

chalky

Reaction score
i am now going to stick with the method feeder as its the one that has given me the best chance ,[lol just need to sit on my hands a bit more till i get a bite].

U

unknownforce

if you want to keep things simple you need two hooklink materials: 1. a decent flurocarbon line (i prefer iq extra soft) and a coated braid that can make stiff rigs and combi rigs - even being full braid if you wish (i use a mixture of esp stripteaze, korda hybrid and kryston mantis)
for basic rigs, the korda website has a couple of good ones. the d-rig with flurocarbon has been catching me fish in the coldest of conditions using a bright pop up. another good idea would be to buy one of the monthly magazines as they always rotate different rig ideas. i think its crafty carper or total carp that has a known name each month explaining there 3 top rigs and when to use them.
hope this is of some help. remeber to keep it simple and as light as you think you can get away with without losing or damaging fish
cheers

chalky

Reaction score
thanks, UNKNOWNFORCE ,i will look into those tips, thankyou very much and tight lines ...chalky[colin.]

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I'd be tempted to pre-bait the small Loch you talk about, not using a great deal of bait but little and often near a bankside feature if possible over a couple of weeks then fish over the pre-baited area using a flouro hooklink if the water is clear.

Don't use any over complicated rigs, a d-ring for a pop up, and a simple hair for bottom baits should be fine.

Match your hook size to the bait used and good luck!

chalky

Reaction score
cheers pikey paul, lol thats it im off to the local takle shop thanks to you all for the great info .....colin.

S

steadyeddie

as they have said just keep it simple,try your own rigs,you never know,see how they look in the water,if you can,clear water.just rember to enjoy it theres so many rigs out there now its a joke,try to think of the rig in the water,how it has landed good luck