Why Can't I Catch Anything!

Chris

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i'm 14 and new to carp fishing, i have been reading up on it for a few years but only just got round to doing it. In the summer my friend Steve,who has been fishing for 40 years took me along to Frant and we had a very good day with constant bites and 4 fish to 15 pound fishing bread on the surface. But every time i have gone on my own and fished the same place right under a bush feeding a couple of pieces of bread and dragging the bread right under where Steve got bites in the summer, how can i do anything to catch more fish?

All comments welcome,
Chris

C

christian tyroll

same age as you chris so no expert ;)

bread on the surface is only really effective when fish are in the upper layers of the water! generally this will be in the warmer weather, so fishing bread on the surface in these temperatures is nigh on useless (im sure they'll be expections though)!

at this time of year it will probably be better to fish at bait on the bottom, if your quite new to carp fishing like me id reccomend a simple rig forget some of the fancy ones you might have seen and learn from the bottom upwards!

for baits you could try a cube of luncheon meat or a few pieces of hair rigged sweetcorn, and loose feed around your bait. you could also try pellets or boilies!
just remember not to feed as much as you would in the summer as the fishs metabolisms slow down during the winter!

as for location, under bushes in the margins can be a good spot so i wouldnt be surprised if theres carp there! you could also try finding a noticably deeper patch of water, the fish often school (excuse the spelling) up in the deeper holes when its cold!
all the best of luck if you've any more questions just ask!

C

christian tyroll

im not sure ive never seen the bush ;)
but ive caught fish under over hangin bushes!

B

Big Rik

good response Christian, not wanting to be condescending, but very well measured for a 14 year old.

J

jason fisher

wish i made that much sense now never mind when i was 14.

C

christian tyroll

i got lucky that time, half the stuff i say is mumbo jumbo and no one has a clue what im going on about, or i miss the point completly!

B

Bully

Main difference though probably has sod all to do with age, and everything to do with intelligence!!

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Our chrisyian is really coming on aint he seen a big change recently he's learning fast.
Good on ya m8

C

christian tyroll

learning from the best ;) 95% of my fishing knowledge has come from here so thanks FM!

B

BLAM

Is the "Frant" you refer to Frant Lakes near Tunbridge Wells?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Well said Christian.

Chris is talking about my favourite style of carp fishing - floating baits.

I would recommend you to get the little book called "Floater Fishing" by Brian Skoyles and my old mate Chris Ball.

Although it was written 16 years ago, the advice in it is spot on.

The other bit of advice I would offer is to keep out of sight, wear clothing that blends in with your background and crawl on your stomach if you have to.

S

Steaker DunLurkin

Frant lakes are prolific waters in the summer Chris. (check the Fresh Water Informer for current reports) Day-time, marginal, short range floaters (they sell biscuits at security) glued onto a long controller. Crust and the 'bread roll rig' are also excellent. The most spectacular fishing is tea-time 'stalking' with a fly rod, at range, using a glued cork ball, a bucket of koi sticks and catapult to hold the fish. This approach will outfish anything else and yield some super lumps.
Night-time and winter, method is reliable, with an esterberry boilie, dumbell style, wrapped in sweet paste.
Don't overlook the unfished for species. The middle lakes have some excellent 'stripeys' to be taken on a lob floated in the margins.
Try the waterfall pond, it's usually an easy fish, with loads of pretty ornamentals.
Floating on the match lake will also keep you busy at any time of year. Just vary your depth to suit.
Frant rewards anglers who experiment.
Good luck!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Our Christian is gonna be a quality angler, I wish I had a mate like him when I was fourteen!

Stay away from the bush Christian, it will spoil your fishing!

;-)