Finishing Flies

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Hello all

I've been putting a few creations together for when the river season starts.

I'm using a complete kit I was bought for xmas. It's pretty good, gives me a wide range of materials to tie the various nymphs and drys I'll be using.

However!

I just can't work out how to ue the supplied whip finishing tool. There are instructions but I just can't make sense of them.

Could anyone please describe how to use this tool, or maybe point me in the direction of some instructions on the web?

Cheers

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

You need to sit next to an experienced fly dresser and you will then pick up the trick quite easily.

It is impossible to describe the technique in words, other than to say you are creating a finish to the whipping similar to the way a rod ring is whipped on.

Personally I have never used a whip finish tool in my life. I use my fingers to do the same thing.

J

jason fisher

you have to put the line round the springy hook thing and along side the fly with the straight bit aiming at the fly, then spin it round so that the springy bit pulls down a bit then when you release it hopefully the fly isnt tied to the end of your thumb.

"I use my fingers to do the same thing." that's cause you're a show off.

R

I don't know what you mean by being a show off Jason.

I've been doing the whip finish by hand since my teens. In those days the whip finish tool didn't exist. It was an American invention ca 1965 I think. Many fly dressers used to put one half hitch on another but it wasn't very strong. I picked up the technique from an old Yorkshire fly fisher but I've forgotten his name.

J

jason fisher

i've treid it Ron but never without incorporating a finger into the flies final design.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
In my opinion you could invest in a tube of superglue and throw away the whip finish tool now. When you get to tying of your fly simply run a tiny amount of superglue over the final centimetre of thread and create a head as normal by simply wrapping the thread around as normal. This will form a very hard wearing and tight finish, it takes seconds, and avoids the need for waiting for varnish to dry.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I use the whip finish tool but have learned how to do it by hand. Trouble is, a loop of thread has to 'revolve' around your index and middle finger when you whip by hand and if you've got rough skin on those fingers, as I have, the thread snags and won't slide off. For that reason I've gone back to the whip finish tool.

R

I've got hands like a baby Graham.. :eek:)

I once watched **** Walker tie a fly. Now Walker had huge hands with fingers like sausages. Yet he could tie a fly without any tools whatsoever, much like Andy could if you remember.

I'll show you how to do a whip finish by hand in detail at the trout fish-in.

J

jason fisher

it was watching you at the last one Ron that got me tied in knots.

R

That is probably right Gimp.

He used to use lots of glue.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I've managed to find a video clip online of how to use this thing. Even then it's not easy!

Must be honest, I'm really tempted by the idea of just using superglue!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"He used to use lots of glue"

He was known by his friends as"Old Sticky Fingers Walker"

Ileach

Reaction score
Why use glue when there is a knot that does the job, it seems wasteful to me...

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Ric, There is nothing wrong with the half hitch, I don't care what anyone tells me.
I've been tying flies since 1961, never used a whip finish, always a double half hitch and finishing off with a quality cellire varnish, my flies don't fall to bits.
What did the old pro's use, I wonder how Roger Woolley, Marryat, Ogden and many others of a 100 yrs past, finish off their hand tied innovations, before the gadgets we are urged to use nowadays, arrived on the scene. Use the method which you feel comfortable with, and don't forget the cellire varnish.

R

Do you know Keith, you are probably right. And do you know Keith, I have not used a half hitch for many years, in fact I wouldn't know how to do one.

I'll stick with my hand tied whip finish.

By the way, I came across an advert in one magazine that stated: "Hand Tied Flies".

I wonder how the others are tied?

With your feet!!

Ileach

Reaction score
Glue is used to give the fly a longer life; once the head goes the fly unravels very quickly and needs to changed. It also neatens the look of the fly in a lot of cases

Varnish is cheaper than glue and it does the same job.