Predatory Mood Swings

R

Rodney Wrestt

Interesting article Graham, I found the last part about the shredded bait made me recall pike fishing when I was a youngster. My friends and I fished a canal for the entire day with only half a dozen herring fillets, we cut the bait into 2" strips and placed it on size 1/0 sea hooks attached to a silver spinning trace fished under a perch float. We all caught several pike each session. It's strange that now I, along with just about everyone I know now attaches half a mackerel or whole herring or trout as their first choice bait. ;-}~

R

Rob Brownfield

My last two Scottish 20 pounders both fell to really small sprats. Big baits on the same water only produced Jacks up to about 8 pounds. Strange!

Also, another water fishes best with mangaled baits. Fish a fresh, whole bait and u wont have a sniff....step on the bait so its squashed and lob it out...bingo!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Rodney, A few years ago on the river Inny in Ireland we found a dead roach of about 1.5lb in the rushes. It kept 3 of us in baits for most of the day, catching about a dozen pike.

Rob, I'll try putting the boot in next time I'm out piking!

R

Rodney Wrestt

My brother's first pike came to a red sprat from the back of the freezer; it must have been close to 4 years old. So much for fresh baits being best eh? Hmmmm?.I wonder who it was that started that rumour. ;-}~

D

Dave -------------------

Enjoyed the article, well timed for me as i am going piking on Friday ..... Hooray.

Got some lures following some advice from a post i made a while back.

Got them from Harris Angling, and i must say i was very impressed with both the web site and the service, lures arrived in less than 2 days !

Fishing a Gravel pit where you are not actually allowed to fish for pike till October 1st, so hopefull of some action.

One rod on Lures the other deads and i will definatley be giving various depth popped up dead bait a try.

C

Chris Bishop

I can think of a couple of pike anglers who have some pretty major mood swings - let alone the fish...

D

David Lundqvist

Dear Graham,
Were have you found the picture of the blizzard pike and the very handsome angler, it happends to be me and it is my picture.
Best regards!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Hi David

Your friend, Christer Sjaunja, sent it to me last year. I've always liked the picture, and ice fishing for pike still remains one of my ambitions. Especially in Sweden, one of my favourite countries.

Good luck

Graham

D

David Lundqvist

That is all right. I gess I have to have a word with mr Sjaunja about sending others pitcutes away without asking.
Very nice site!

Keep up the good work!

David

D

David Lundqvist

That is all right. I gess I have to have a word with mr Sjaunja about sending others pitcutes away without asking.
Very nice site!

Keep up the good work!

David

D

David Lundqvist

Very nice site!

Keep up the good work!

David