Fluorocarbon - Carcinogenic?

U

unknownforce

anyone else ever heard of this??????

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/jim09.htm

'Several references have been made in the angling press to the fact that fluorocarbon should not be placed between the lips (when moistening knots, for example). One report stated that this was because it had a lead component, while another implied that it was potentially carcinogenic. I can neither confirm nor refute these suggestions - hopefully an anglersnet reader or contributor can enlighten us? Meanwhile, I think it makes sense to err on the side of caution'

C

Cakey

dont take a chance, fluorocarbon is on the Carcinogenic Potency Database

you can still spit on it without putting it in your mouth

next thing what about the fish,should we ban flurocarbons just in case ??

B

Big Rik

I believed the carcinogens were created at the factory where the line is produced.

How can an inert solid give you cancer?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The fluorocarbon used is Polyvinylidene fluoride - PVDF.

This stuff is completely benign and is listed by the FDA for contact with food and injectable substances. It is used extensivly as a membrane filtration medium for the sterile filtration of injectable drugs.

If there is anything that could be regarded as a carcinogen in the material it could be either surfactants or lubricants used in the extrusion process, if any.

Personally I think you will find it totally harmless. However the fumes coming from it when it is burned could be a bit dodgy.

Look up MSDS data in Google on PVDF

L

Les Clark

The harm would be in the fumes at the time of production ,tonnes of the stuff at a time,can`t see any harm in the finished product .

R

Quite right Les.

Special care has to be taken to avoid or contain vapours that are produced when the stuff is heated for extrusion. But that goes for all polymers too.

One property that plastics in the fluorocarbon group possess is that they do not degrade like nylon. Nylon suffers from hydrolysis and attack by ultraviolet light. PVDF will remain virtually for ever. Litter louts beware!!

L

Les Clark

Ron ,I was in the polymers extrusion production for over 13 years ,the health and safety was/is a joke, machines catching on fire ,the vapours comeing off the machines with piss poor ventalition .
I had to clear the factory floor many times due to the fumes .

R

Oh Dear Les.

I wouldn't have liked to have gone into your factory.

Dangerous fumes can be extracted and filtered through various media such as activated carbon to remove the nasties.

Talk to me about it. Filtration has been my job for nearly 35 years.

Yes I know the problems with health and safety. Companys will go to the ends of the earth to avoid installing the proper equipment.

But quite honestly, Joe Soap in the street is the biggest culprit. Whilst Joe Soap insists on getting stuff at the LOWEST POSSIBLE PRICE with no regard for quality and how things are manufactured, industry will cut corners wherever they can.

Look at the plethora of stuff you see everywhere with "Made in China" on it. There, they do not have organisations like OSHA or Health and Safety bodies.

I shudder to think what happens in some of the Chinese factories!!

U

unknownforce

thanks for the reassure, i did think it would have been a bit odd were it true. may moisten with lake water anyway, wouldnt want to tar the line with the smell of my cigarette breath ;0)

R

It will not moisten with water.

PVDF is inherently hydrophobic (water repelling). Nylon is hydrophillic (water loving and absorbs water causing hydrolysis. That's why it loses strength.

Some PVDF monos have a very interesting property. They become STRONGER when knotted!!

That's right, you read me correctly.

They are not available yet but when they are, they are going to take the fishing tackle market by storm!!

L

Les Clark

Ron , the worst polymer was a.b.s. when mixed with flame retard powder .when it came out of the head of the extruder ,if it hit the water bath the wrong way it would catch alight and let off this green fume and burn your throat and chest ,we complained and refused to run it ,but the firm got a all clear from the manufacturers , in CHINA !

F

Frothey

breathing in the benzene given off by petrol when you fill up if more dangerous than the flouro....

?

<?))))><.???`?. born to fish (callum) made to wor

Does this not call for a warning! there should be warnings on the back of the packets

R

I am not an expert here, but I was told some time ago that the MIBK (Methyl Isobutyl Ketone) used to replace lead, in lead free gasoline is ten times more toxic than lead!