Different Hooklengths

Matty C

Reaction score
Hiya guys..

I would have to give chalky credit for me having to ask this question, as it was reading his question about diff hooklengths that got me questioning..

It was pikey pauls response that got me questioning also.. The response was this :

"Depends how you're fishing i.e pop up, bottom bait or maybe neutrally balanced?

Over gravel, weed or silt?

What's the water colour like?

What rig are you thinking of using?"

Now my question is this..

What conditions call for what materials ?

I have braid, mono, or fluoro.. I would normally (99% of the time) just use a knotless knot hair rig, with either a single bottom, a single pop up, one of each, or two bottoms.. I have fluoro mainline and am recently starting to use a Korda Rig Tube behind the lead to keep it well pinned down..

If someone could give me any pointers as to which hook lengths or even which rigs would be best for which situation, I would be very greatful..

Just for referance, my local lake has a mainly silt bottom, with I think only one gravel bar in it, the water is only about 5 feet deep at the deepest, going as shallow as 3 feet in some places.. It is that "normal" almost dull green colour, and as I said before, a standard knotless knot hair rig would be rig of choice, but will be willing to change if needed..

cheers for any help what-so-ever..

Matt..

Thanks again chalky and Pikey paul for provocing these thoughts and quandries..

Matty C

Reaction score
Cheers Frothy..

much appreciate the added links.. Am reading them all now..

thanks again mate