Fogs (or it could be Frogs)

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I looked at the pond on Tuesday and there was nothing. I looked this morning and it is absolutely full of Frogs, were do the little critters come from?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Think yourself lucky and they are not the large black and green bullfrogs we used to get coming up out of the ground with the first rains.

These were huge blighters, up to 10 inches long with large poisonous teeth. They used to growl and jump up at your face with fangs bared!!

matt

Reaction score
Hey ron have you got a stock of those mushrooms because now is not their season.

R

You lot think I'm talking bullshit don't you?

When my son was about 4 years of age he ran into the house from the garden screaming! "Daddy Daddy, there's a monster in the ground under the big tree"

He showed me the spot. I heard distinct growling and saw the soil move. Thinking it might be a mole I stabbed in the soil with a fork behind the movement and lifted.

Out it came, a horror to end all horrors! A dirty great big Pyxiecephalus adspersus. It must have been 10 inches long and 5 inches across.

And was it annoyed. It jumped at me baring it's fangs.

Then it ran off.

These frogs are some of the largest of their species in the world. They live underground during the dry winter months on the Savanna areas of Africa and then come out in the first rains.

Still think I'm writing bullshit?

look at www.anapsid.org/bullfrog.html

G

Ged

And they are taking over Australia. Or is that their American cousins?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
So they burrow underground in the Savanna, and emerge in Rotherham?

Whereupon the locals go around shouting, "Look at that dirty great Pyxiecephalus adspersus, size of its lungs! Get down you brute"

Oh where's my medication?

C

Chris Bishop

I surmise frog story dates from Ron's *Dr Livingstone I presume* days Mark.

J

jason fisher

there's 5 of the little buggers on the path out side my house all turned up this afternoon.
plus the escaped tree frog on the candle stick on my mantle piece which was a bit of a surprise yesterday.

P

Phil Hackett Manchester Granitewith Pride

The buggers spawned last night in the pond in the park. It's now full of frog snot, the herons will have a beano tomorrow when they find it.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Isn't there a species of frog that has an hallucinogenic coating on its skin ???
I think it's from the Amazon jungle ....

R

By the way the African bullfrog is also known by the name of the "Pixie Frog".

I could never work that one out.

Some frogs are indeed very poisonous Ed. If you see one that is red, keep clear.