Introduction

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Hi I'm Benny

returned to fishing about 18 months ago after a gap of about 30 years, so I am still very much a beginner.

Mainly fish the canal and a couple of local pools but also visit commercials a few times a year with my favourite being Furnace Mill. Mainly fish with pole and whip but I'm starting to get into feeder fishing after my Kids bought me a feeder rod for my Birthday, not very accurate with the casting yet though.

I'm 49 and I work in IT as a network engineer , I am married with 3 kids , 2 lads 22 and 20 and a daughter of 17.

My biggest fish is a 9lb carp from Hamstell but my best fish would be a 4lb + perch from the local canal after a 27 hour blank ( not all in one go ) in the middle of winter, caught just off the reeds on a broken worm.

My other hobbies are swimming , gardening , walking the dog and occaisionally watching West Bromwich Albion.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Welcome Benny, cracking perch mate

cheers mate , I wished I had a photo of its older brother I caught a few days later , I have been having a look round the site and I think its true there seem to be a lot of very decent perch being pulled out - there must be if I can catch one

Morespiders

Reaction score
cheers mate , I wished I had a photo of its older brother I caught a few days later , I have been having a look round the site and I think its true there seem to be a lot of very decent perch being pulled out - there must be if I can catch one

Hmmmm, how big was its older brother/ sister

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Hmmmm, how big was its older brother/ sister

I can only guess , I was kicking myself for not having my phone with me and I was very inexperienced at the time but I lay it on my mat and it was longer than the width of my landing net , with the ruff at the top being much longer than my fingers. I would guess at over 4 , except that it didn't seem to be very fat if you know what I mean.

My son bought some scales and we started weighing the odd carp , I had been consistently over estimating the weight of my fish so maybe I did with this one too , but I'd put it at well over a foot long, bearing in mind I was a little bit excited at the time.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Welcome Benny

Not only from the Midlands but a Baggies fan as well

cheers mate you have to support the very first team your Dad takes you too , thankfully I was born in Wednesbury a few miles further out and in could have been a very different story

---------- Post added at 05:40 ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 ----------

Many thanks for the warm welcome

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Mate, if that had been a WV postcode, we wouldn't be having this conversation:j

Yes know what you mean I'm surrounded by Dingles at work If we beat them I'm going to get in early and stick carrier bags over the backs of their chairs If we lose I'm taking the day off. :w

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Just realised who you are, if your thinking of breeding the Kwisatz Haderach be very careful, there's people on here who think F1 are motorsport and not carp:wh The introduction of another species will cause uproar on this forum:j
(just look at the otter threads)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Just realised who you are, if your thinking of breeding the Kwisatz Haderach be very careful, there's people on here who think F1 are motorsport and not carp:wh The introduction of another species will cause uproar on this forum:j
(just look at the otter threads)

Ha Ha

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain

yes when I saw that F1 circus I thought "has someone started training fish ? "
I wish they would train them to take my bait