MOST SUCCESSFUL LURE?

big gus

Reaction score
Fellas, I've heard a few people swear by the Fox Chubby chad or Rapula's Shad Raps.....what has been best for you?

I'm not talking about monster pike....more the single figure pike or chub/perch over a couple of pounds.

Rivers/canals will be mostly where I use them and maybe the odd commercial puddle?

Arep lugs better? Or jerkbaits or spinners...

Any tips/help/specific recommendations much appreciated...

Thanks.

keora

Reaction score
A spinner, any brand, weighing around one third to half an ounce is a good alround lure that will catch many species of fish.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Funnily enough, I've been dabbling with very similar fishing to you Gus.I have caught pike, chub and perch on Rublex Ondex sizes 4 and 5. This is an old style spinner which can be fished nice and slow.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i've been using mepps spinners and shallow diving/surface smallish plugs (shakespeare "big s" types prefably with a perchy look too them.i.ve been replacing old gear latly with ultra light - medioum tackle as i'am planning on a few lure trips along the erewash canal and a few marina's in my area.

W

Wolfman Woody

An ABU Droppen.

I have an older ABU lure, a Flex. Daren't use it anymore since they've discontinued it, but that was a real killer. It was supposed to be replaced by the Reflex, but they don't work as well.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
My favourite lures of all time were the Shakespeare Litle and Big S series because they worked. The problem today is that there are a lot of lures on the market today which were designed with a specific use in mind by mostly our cousins in the USA and they just don't seem to work very well over here. ALso the cost of some of these lures is enough to make you cry when you leave one hanging in a tree; inevitable if you want to catch fish!

big gus

Reaction score
Chavender or Fishing Gimp - any particular colour of the Shaspeare Big S you find more successful?

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
The Perch pattern followed by the Red and White seemed the best two patterns for me. Cast near overhanging trees, weedbeds or some under water structure even worked along the contours of gravel pits and you will get pike,perch or in warmer weather chub.

Chub seem to take lures when the weather is warmer. The Little S is a good way to locate chub in the summer and shows how predatory they can be in the warmer months.

Y

yoggy

The Fox Chubby Shad,and twintails have literally transformed my lure fishing.90% of my lures are now "rubbers".The Shad especially in 5 and 6in have been superb here in the Fens on my local drains.

But saying this my biggest Pike of the season was caught on a 3in "Fire-tiger" Shad

Give me a rubber anyday!!!!

FLUKE

Reaction score
Poppers for chub

Abu Frenzy shallow divers (goldfish) for perch and pike.

Abu Hi-Lo and Tormentors for Pike and Salmo Sliders (floating)

keora

Reaction score
Fishing Gimp is right about the fact that some US designed lures don't work that well over here. I can think of the spinner bait for example - looks good in the box, catches bass in the US, but as a pike lure here I don't find it that effective - It's a poor hooker for a start, and adding a stinger treble doesn't seem to do much good.

J

jason fisher

shakespear S in perch and red head. and ondex spinners lovely stuff.