WHICH LINE?

big gus

Reaction score
Fellas, I'm just about to purchase the above reel.....as I mentioned elsewhere, it is for lure fishing on rivers/canal for perch, chub and single figure pike.

Havent decided which rod yet (any help there appreciated) bu judging by FM reviews this reel is a good one.

My question - other than rod recommendations - is what line to buy to go with this reel? Mono or braided? Specific names would help.

Thanks all.

C

Chris Bishop

50lbs Powerpro is a good braid for slinging average-sized lures like spoons, Rapalas etc around.

I'd go up to 65lbs for bigger stuff like Shad Raps etc.

Gus, did you know there's a predator forum if you scroll down..?

E

EC

Is it the 6500 size C3 you are buying Gus?

If so, thats a big size multi for what you want it for mate!

C

Chris Bishop

Good point Mr C, the smaller 5500 comes in a tasty anti-backlash version which might make a good first multiplier. I wasn't too taken with it the first couple of times I used it butn wouldn't be without it now, you can literally go weeks without a birds nest with them.

big gus

Reaction score
Eddie, no the 5000....

Although am open to suggestions if you think thats not a good option?

Cant seem to get any info on rod or reel so have researched myself....more than happy to stand corrected or be advised on both.

E

EC

I bought a small daiwa procaster multiplier for similar purposes mate, but cant get on with the right hand wind when coarse fishing!

E

EC

I just saw the 'C3' bit and immediately thought you were buying a 6 5 mate, thats what I've got for sea fishing, spot on!

Y

yoggy

As Chris pointed out 50lb powerpro.I use it with my C3,with no problems.You can buy other braid on the market far cheaper,but powerpro i feel is definatly worth the money.

C

Chris Bishop

Lasts a lot longer, had the 50lbs two years on a couple of lighter bait fishing rods.

Used Fireline before, fairly bomb-proof but you get that awful grating in the rings playing fish and once it starts going rough it really cuts casting distance.

I've got the 65lbs on heavier rods for boat fishing, legering on pits etc and can't fault it.