Silicone Tubing for Chubber Floats

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've been struggling to find a shop that stocks silicone tubing for use as the top rubber on Chubber and Dome topped stick floats.

Does anyone know anywhere that stocks this stuff?

I'd prefer clear or olive (or both) if possible.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I'm having the same problem mate and having to buy those packs of assorted rubbers just to find a few that are suitable.
I've been considering going back to something I used to do and that's drilling a small hole at an angle through the top of the float so that it exits about half an inch down the body. All you need then is a couple of small pieces of tube for the bottom and middle.
I used to find that I got a much cleaner strike but there was a drawback. A balsa float would soon begin absorbing water which buggered up the shotting.

P

Phil Hackett Manchester Granitewith Pride

Matt I use the thinnest catapult elastic I can find and cut into bands. Works well for me.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
MAP used to do the stuff in the bigger diameters; 6mm 8mm etc. Frank's idea re drilling the ips works if you line the hole with a fine piece of tube, an old Tom Pickering stick float idea that makes the float less likely to tangle for long casting but the float fishes differently.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. I think I'll try the small bait band idea first as it's the most available option.

I'nt FM great!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

If they are balsa floats straighten a hook out and push the barbed end into the float with a dab of superglue and use the eye to run your line through ---the other bottom float rubber(s) will hold the float tight

Beecy

Reaction score
Matt, I got some large(ish) sizes of silicone tube from callcotts last year, he brought out a small box full of assorted packets of tube that were so dusty theyd not seen the light of day for years!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
The floats I need the silicone for most are the clear expanded type Chubbers by Drennan and the like so piercing the plastic isn't really an option.

Cheers Dave, I shall give Calcotts a go.

Michael Garner

Reaction score
hi matt i hope this helps i am on oxygen therapy for a few hours everyday ,the tubing i have to use would be perfect for what you need as it comes in various diameters and is virtually destruction proof if you know a nurse from your local hospital after the tubing has been used once it is usually binned so try any ashtma ward nurse or any of the infusion wards a 5 foot length would last years ?by the way you cannot catch anything off the tubing if you don,t have any luck get back in touch and i will try and send you some of my own used tubing

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
it seems a common problem not being able to find the right sized rubbers,i've been considering using rubber " 0 " rings but its the small point of contact between o ring and float/line unless used in pairs.the bait bands are too soft and the line soon cuts through.i was going to also try at a aquatic centre for some pump tubing.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
One thing that is certainly worth considering is the small silicon bands that young children wear on their teeth as corrective measures. These are very tiny but incredibly strong and they seem to expand to sizes you wouldn't think possible given the small diameter to start with and would do the job for you perfectly Matt. My grandaughter had some last year and said she would try and get me some but must have forgotten, she has since stopped the treatment as well.

They would make ideal pellet bands as well but try as I might I can't locate any on the web but anyone with, or knows of, young children that use these things might have more success, if you do, get me some as well while you are at it.

D

david bruce 1

Try a Laboratory suppliers. They do tubing in all diameters. Merck/BDH do some or just do a 'google'.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Drennan float tubing in its latgest size will fit over the top of a Drennan loafer with a little persuasion and moisture.I used it last weekend.